Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When I run my Welcome Week workshops I try to enter the forum a little early just to have chat time with students who are early. The only problem is getting them to stop chatting once it's time for business!

I go over the course, how grades are done what I want the students to do and demos, along with extra notes from the power points.

I personally being there last instructor they will see before going to extern go in the first week and introduce myself to the new students, telling them little about me, what I teach, our student groups and answering any questions they may have this way I know them all the way through the program but also many students feel comfortable with me and will come to me with any issues with in turn helps maintain retention.

Jamie,

Wonderful! As one of the 'last' instructors, you no doubt have some wonderful advice and stories you can provide to the new students that encourage them!

Susan Backofen

We have several first week activities that enahnce the new students experience. We feed everyone during the first week as we - the admin staff - move around the building taking attendance. It is not just the Faculty that is interested in Attendance but also the Admin staff. Fresh Fruit on Day one, granola bars or cookies on day two, popcorn on day 3 and healthy nuts and crakers on day 4. We learn everyone's name and they know us as the Admin people who can help them with letters, Financial Aid, etc. We also hold week one mixers where we will pull all new students in the Learning Resource Center and show them how to log into the jobs data base and where other pertinent information is located in the data base. We pull in Dental Students and Diesel Mechanic Students so they all have an opportunity to meet and greet each other. We also make sure that each student knows about our Retention efforts and why the Retention Office is a Safe Harbor for them. We make attendance calls and keep up with information flow throughout the first week.

Mark,

I love the idea of proactively mixing with the students so consistently the first week. Food, of course, always helps :)

Susan Backofen

Our first week for every program is developed into a course called "Orientation".

In the curriculum we already have activities such as ice-breakers, a potluck event at the end of the week (food) etc.

The students will receive the course outline of this week once they meet their Orientation instructor. That way students can already look forward to the potluck event and roles are being assigned as to who brings what food item.

I like the idea of serving refreshments to the class and also having a former student speak to the class about their first week experience.

I go over the course and what are class expectations, including behavior and homework. I have the students introduce themselves to their classmates and what they expect out of the class, as well as a little about themselves.

Before I began any activities I like to ask the students open end questions and then I will ask them to ask me questions to make them fill connected to me.

Get to know each other. Play the name chain game to learn names. Assess learning styles. Introducing course subjects.

I write on the board my contact infomation, the topics to be covered that day, and the learning objectives. I begin the class by introducing myself and then I have the students introduce themselves and state what their expectations are for the orientation course and for their acadmeic career.

Food always helps! Fun learning! We do a project in the first week where the students bring in a surgery projects made of food products.

I always encourage an hour of getting to know each other before the course begins.

We can give them history of the facility. Also involve the students in projects and/or power points on why they chose to come here and what they expect from school and above all, what are they willing to sacrifice to get ahead in life?

What I have seen some facilities do, is they have the students do a treasure hunt around campus, and have the students look for a list of things as well as people - this helps to break the ice and the students get to experience as well as find where everything is.

Caroline,

These types of orientations are good on many levels including those you list above. Anything we can do to get them 'up and moving around' helps them retain information and also builds some relationships with faculty, staff and peers.

Susan Backofen

I like the idea for using nametags, or making them wear their id cards to learn the student names faster. And having the students write or state their goal for enrolling in class. I think it helps them see their goal better when they write it, read it, and speak it out loud.

i give them a test on the first day and tell em the same test will be given at mods end Gurenting that only THEN wil they hae the knowledge to pass it. Thus enpowering me!

I lay out the syllabus and go over all expectations. I make it known the first day I am available to talk to about any issues that may arise during the mod. They are assured that I can help with tutoring and any academic help they may need.

Sign In to comment