Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Addressing Student Fears

What activities are you currently including in your orientations that address student fears?

During our New Student Orientations (NSO's) we begin with a Presidential presentation discussing the importance of attending classes. This is followed by several current student interactive sessions with new students discussing numerous topics such as what happens in the school and specifically in the classroom. The appropriate dress is discussed as well as the required outside work.
New students are then introduced to the facilities by a tour from a current student where additional interaction takes place. New students are then taken to an area where over 15 student clubs have set-up tables for introduction of their club from current student members. Snacks are provided and by the end of the day, new students are very calm and look forward to start their courses.

During our New Student Orientations (NSO's) we begin with a Presidential presentation discussing the importance of attending classes. This is followed by several current student interactive sessions with new students discussing numerous topics such as what happens in the school and specifically in the classroom. The appropriate dress is discussed as well as the required outside work.
New students are then introduced to the facilities by a tour from a current student where additional interaction takes place. New students are then taken to an area where over 15 student clubs have set-up tables for introduction of their club from current student members. Snacks are provided and by the end of the day, new students are very calm and look forward to start their courses.

Bill--

This sounds wonderful! I especially like that you have included so many students (tour, clubs, etc.) and also a design that includes getting and moving around.

Susan

I'm making sure to reassure them that I want them to pass, that I am available both in and out of class to assist them. I lay out all of my class policies up front and lay myself out before them so they see that I'm here to help them learn, I'm not some mythical horned beast out to fail them.

Susan,My roll as an instructor here at uti(universal technical institute) is too work with students that have problems with reading. These studente have all kinds of fears. Firsttimes fearsof being away from home ,fears of failing, fear that treir friends will make fun of them, I work hand in hand with these young men to help them over come their fears they are like sons to me, WHEN SOMETHING IS BROTHERING THEM,they always come to me fof help.Wealways get through it. Bill Lachman

When addressing the fear that some students might be smarter than them we assure students that we know everyone is entering the program with different levels of audio knowledge but not to fear because we will be teaching them from the ground up. We also offer several different programs to offer study help including the following:

A) We have a study skills seminar for every new class that enters the program the very first week of class.

B) We have staff tutors and they can request this using a tutoring request form. They are also reminded in orientation that Student Services is here for "them". I am the head of the Student Services and Career Services Department and I like to word it something like "We are here for you, the student services department kind of acts like a liaison between the students and staff here, so if they need anything or have any concerns we are here for them." I try to create a trust with them so that they will come to me if they do have any fears about the program or otherwise.

C) We also have the students vote on student representatives for each class at the end of the 1st semester. These student reps meet with the Director, Associate Director, Head Instructor, Director of Education, and myself once a month to report on class progress or issues.

Working here at UTI Susan,
I help eleviate student fears by first listening to them, then creating a rapport. I explain through my experiences as a UTI student how I delt with the same issues they have.
Herman Gould

I did responed to your question Susan. I gain the students trust by creating common ground. I then eleviate their conserns by explaining how they aren't the first ones to experience these doubts and concerns, and they'll make it through...

have them introduce themselves and see were everyone else is coming from

tour of the school and see the students in action

Brandon--

I am sure your students appreciate your not being a horned beast :) Honestly, letting them know your expectations and that you are there to assist them is reassuring. It gives them some parameters and support for success.

Susan

Bill--

It sounds as if you are a fantastic teacher and mentor. Students who have reading problems often also come with self-esteem problems as well. So knowing that you are there for them regardless of the issue I am sure is a great benefit to them.

Susan

Lisanne--

Wonderful support programs! The student representatives piece is a great way to get real-time feedback and show students taht you areally are sensitive to their issues. Great!

Susan

Herman--

That is wonderful that you can relate to your experience as a student to help them overcome their fears.

Susan

For the first two classes I include a brief moment on the job market and reinforce the reason we are making an effort to achieve a better job or life. I also talk about the cost of education and the cost of no education where the former opens many doors of opportunity and the later keeps those doors closed.

False Evidence Appearing Real

We do ice breaker games.

During orientation, we always give students information on who to contact with questions/concerns. We always try to have as many faculty there as possible so students have a face to go with the name too. Our program always has an open door policy so students know they can talk to us without being ridiculed.

playing ice breaker games

Sign In to comment