Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Michael, what sort of feedback do you get from your students? Any examples of changes you made based on their input?

Loren Kroh

We see that the students expectation is met by doing survey, activities and constant communication.

We follow a similar sturcture in employing student surveys at the end of each term. In the classroom, I find the feedback to be insightful for areas for my own improvement, but also to get a sense of the student perception to consider in following terms. I think this is a valuable tool in addressing an authentic learning experience for students.

Although my institution does surveys, I feel the students don't put their true feelings down unless they are unhappy with a certain dept. For the most part, students don't want to say anything bad about their instructors, but they have no problem perhaps "cutting up" the financial aid dept. Most students answer the questions on the survey but don't offer suggestions on improvement. I feel sometimes those students opinion are often not taken into consideration because they are considered one of the "disgruntled" students that were having a bad day.

We try to identify problems early. Usually there is some reflection in the grades or participation in class, or absences. We as instructors, if we have the same student in both of our classes, will share with one another and compare behaviors to see if we notice the same things. Then one of us will approach the student alone after class to counsel. We will follow up with the student and with each other to monitor the effect. The ddepartment head is made aware of the issues as soon as we notice it, and she is continually informed of the progress. It helps that there is a common goal among the instructors to work together to help these students.

Each student are given a code of conduct booklet upon admission and at the beginning of each class we discuss their expectations of the class, me, and of themselves, then I let them know my expectations of them for the class. We also have student surveys for the students to evaluate their instructor and their clinical experience at the end of the class.

I found the information extremely useful. We, like many of you, are struggling with retention in this economy. How are the rest of you doing?

Students are given "student satisfaction surveys" for their classes in the middle of the term. One advantage of this timing is that results can be shared with the instructor while the class in ongoing and changes can be made in response to the results. One disadvantage is that the course material may build on previous units, so that a course labeled as "too easy" may become harder toward the end of the session.

I think that the students expectations are a direct reflection of what the instructors are. They have to put into it what they want to get out of it. However the instructor should recognize that each student is coming from different backgrounds and should adjust to those needs, if it does not become interuptive to the class as a whole. It should be up to the instructor to make that choice. It is also up to the student to self identify with any issues he or she feels needs extra attention.

For students who are not achieving high levels of success, we have a midterm intervention. They meet with faculty and administration representatives on four levels, which gives us an opportunity to evaluate their expectations and efforts to see that their expectations are realistic and are being satisfied. All students complete an end-of-course evaluation.

Students are given a satisfaction survey to complete midway through a term; grades and progress are discussed at various times during the term to make sure students are aware of how they are progressing or what problems they may be having.

We do the same thing here. It is imperative to receive the feedback for self improvement. It is essential to have the student participate in the process.

The admissions department works with each new student and meets with them after they start to ask how they are doing. We also have different surveys which are directed to the new student and continuing student. The surveys allow the student to voice their concerns and yes we actually go over the surveys. As an instructor you are expected to view them and work on ways to improve. The deans also work closely with the students and make themselves available when the student has questions or concerns.As an instructor I also ask the students to comment on if they are receiving what they expected, and if not I ask them to please advice their admission rep as I will too.

We require the students to complete an instructor satisfaction survey in the middle of the course. It is not mandatory to turn it into the instructor of the class however, they can if they wish. The students have the option of turning it into the dean of students. I feel this way they will feel like someone is listening to them every step of the way.

If student opinions aren't taken into consideration, don't ask for them. This a surefire way to create a self-fulfilling prophesy. I took the time to give you my opinion; you ignored; I'm disgruntled.

These surveys are very similar to requests that we get from service providers [after car service, a concert, a mail order purchase, etc]. How many do we answer? What outcomes do we expect? Why don't we complete them? Students bring the same mindset to the process.

Loren Kroh

Is the process for discussing students a formal one? Set day/time? How often?

Loren Kroh

Is the discussion about expectations uni-directional - you telling them - or is it a discussion that engages the students?

Loren Kroh

How effective has this been? Are you able to change behavior and save students by engaging them at midterm?

Loren Kroh

Students are a given a survey to rate me the instructor and the curriculum

We offer a survey to the students about the college and the instructors. We analyze the data for further study to better our programs

Sign In to comment