Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have surveys to be an effective method to evaluatuate and identify areas for improvement.

gives them accurate representations of the school before they begin the program

We utilize student evaluations at the end of each course to rate the instructor, particular course, and the students'feelings regarding how much they learned and how relevant it was to their program needs.

We also have an exit interview for graduates that does much the same thing for the overall training received during matriculation.

There is a Success Advisor on campus that will counsel students with specific issues. And it is reiterated by all in Educational Services to let us know when any student has an issue from the classroom, the library staff, and administrative staff(DOE,ADOE,Registrar).

We maintain an open door policy so that students know we are approachable. And we use other measurement tools, including Suggestion Boxes for students to provide input on needs.

I think the surveys are effective for administration to use to decide how to change direction. Sometimes class by class the expectations change based on the different people the student may have interacted with since they began. The student council helps at voicing student concerns as they arise instead of at designated checkpoints.

I think the surveys are effective for administration to use to decide how to change direction. Sometimes class by class the expectations change based on the different people the student may have interacted with since they began. The student council helps at voicing student concerns as they arise instead of at designated checkpoints.

It seems that the institution tries to involve everyone in the process of meeting student expectations. While we conduct 3 surveys during their time in school, we also like to have a lot of open communication throughout the program with anyone involved in the student's success. (management, admissions, teachers, financial aid)We have weekly meetings between management and teachers during the first 11 weeks of the program, then monthly meetings after that to find out what is going on with the student. The discussion can include grades and attendance, but also attitudes and other issues that may have come up to the teacher in the classroom.

As a new employee just getting started I do not know everything but I have seen an open-door policy all the way up to the Dean. The Student Success Coordinator is always there to help, as are the librarian and the director of my department. Satisfaction surveys are given to students frequently as well.

Student evaluations are completed before end of six weeks of 12 week term.

Students are evaluated for compatibility with programs. Frequent meetings with students occur when grades or attention to academics seem to be slipping. Our students are mostly adults with multiple resposibilities. It is very easy to get behind if a child is sick or if you have to work extra at a paying job to get by. Concessions need to be made for truly motivated adult learners facing obstacles in their daily lives. Most are satisfied with their intial academic/career paths but need a little help along the way to ensure success.

Patricia, what sort of changes have been made in the classroom as a result of these surveys? Have the surveys led to any institutional policy changes?

Any examples of changes that administration has made based on the survey results?

Mary,what do you mean by evaluating compatibility with programs? Shouldn't that be done in the admissions process?

My students are also given a survey at the end of each course to get feedback on curriculum, instructor preparedness, expectation met or not met, areas of improvement and overall satisfaction with the course. These are sealed and often anonymous. Collated results are shared with me by my Program Director every other month and recorded.

A personal example is realizing that students in the beginning of the program seemed to not be getting what they needed as much from management, so it made me make an effort to spend more time with the students in the classroom during their first 11 weeks of school. We have seen the results improve.

Our students are encouraged to take part in an end of class survey that asks them specific questions about their expectations and our delivery. A portion of this survey is in an open response format that allows them an opportunity to write comments. In addition, I often ask them during the semester to communicate to me personally our effectiveness as a school as it relates to their needs.

We follow the syllabus very closely and take a mid semester survey from the students. We have small classes and are able to be close enough to feel the climate of the class. If there seems to be a problem then the opportunity is there to address it. We are encourgaged to be at the right place at the right time to do the right thing.
CM

I am a new instructor and I assume we will give students surveys at the end of the course/quarter. I haven't found out yet for sure. So far we have given one called a student satisfaction survey in which students rated the instructor and the course; it was given near the midpoint of the quarter and turned into the dean. Students also can speak with the Student Services official whenever they need to about any concerns or issues that may come up.

At the beginning of every term students complete broad plans to determine what they expect for themselves for each class and at the end of every class students complete broad plan to see if their expectations were met.

Your example of not knowing whether a survey will be given at the end of the course/quarter speaks to the value of a thorough orientation and/or mentor. Did you get any feedback from the student satisfaction survey that was given?

Are those entries shared with their instructors? Would you like to know if you met your students' expectations?

Sign In to comment