Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kristen, it's great to hear that you see an opportunity to communicate the value of the surveys. That should help with the usefulness of future responses.

Have you thought about sending a reminder email the day before your one-on-one meetings? Students may not think it's a "real" appointment; only have to go if I have an issue. The email tells them that it's important enough for you to reach out to them.

if you ask students wht there expectationsa are you can often guide them towards being sure they are met. Miscommunication of this vital fact can cause retention concerns.

I meet with each cohort separately about 1/3 of the way through their program. No instructors are present. I take the students 5 at a time and ask them the questions rather than have them fill out a survey by themselves. This gives them a chance to participate in a discussion with their classmates, add to another students comments and reinforce opinions. They are assured of anonymity and they are invited to call, email or visit me individually if they have anything additional they wish to discuss. Then approximately 2/3 of the way through their program I send each of them what we call a Keep Stop Start Doing form and ask them to write their suggestions/opinions on what the college or the faculty should Keep doing, Start doing or Stop doing. Both of these survey methods are compiled into a report that goes to the Director of Education for review and action. At the end of each program, a course evaluation is given. After reading all of your responses, I feel that what we are missing is showing the students that what they say makes a difference. I would like to implement a process, perhaps in the Student Services Forum, where we post changes that came through student input. I will be suggesting this at our next Student Services meeting.

Students fill out a survey on each class at the end of each semester. The individual results are kept confidental by the Director, however, the cumulative results are reviewed in one-on-one meetings with course instructors and if necessary, corrective action plans are recommended and implimented. The evaluations on the entire program are also part of the survey. Student attendance is closely monitored and when a certain absence level is met the Director and front office will contact the student to discuss what the "underlying issues" are.

My institution uses surveys throughout the program to track student satisfaction and see how their experience is evolving. Before a prospective student enrolls, we offer the ability to sit in on a class, in order for the student to experience the nature of what we are teaching and how it will be delivered. After reading Module 1, I realize more than ever now, how important the student's vision of the school from the outset actually contributes to their commitment.

Carroll, when should students be asked about their expectations? Is that part of the admissions process? Integrated into the classroom or academic advising? Both? Who is responsible for keeping expectations and outcomes in alignment?

Sharron, your method of getting student feedback is quite creative. It would seem that you should get valuable information. I also agree that showing student that what they say makes a difference would enrich the process and shouldn't be too difficult to do.

You say that students are assured of anonymity. How is that possible if you are sitting with them asking questions?

Barney, it's good to hear that there is follow through based on the surveys. How often are corrective action plans indicated?

Dallan, how aggressive is admissions in promoting the classroom visitation? This can be a powerful tool if they use it.

We have three 15 week semesters within a calendar year and the corrective action plans are devised and carried out after the survey results are tabulated at the end of each semester.

Well we do take surveys at the end of every class and the Lead Instructors come around on a regular basis to observe the classes and interact with the students.

Student satisfaction surveys are conducted every term, which is every 12 weeks. Students are asked to participate fully and truthfully so our institution can track student satisfaction and what issues need addressed. Students can then meet with their instructors and well as the program director to see if those concerns are being met. They also conduct instructor feedback serveys once every term as well.

Preiodic surveys as well as exit counseling

I recently began working with this new organization in the student services department. During my time, I have had the chance to observe the procedures utilized by the departments to ensure they are meeting student expectations and needs. Although I have spent a short time observing, I had the opportunity to conduct a paper survey that is given to students to complete each term at the end of the term.

The surveys ask a small series of questions that pertain to the satisfaction and expectations levels of the faculty, program, and curriculum. However, there is a section that asks students to provide feedback on the departments and the campus as a whole.

I thought, what about when the students are just beginning a program? How can we reassure them that we are there to provide the best quality service? The organization tends to utilize a variety of short surveys, most of which provide blank lines for the student to expand on their thoughts rather than provide yes or no answers.

When reviewing these surveys, the students are contacted to further discuss any concerns or feedback they have provided. The organization is focused on emphasizing the importance of quality student service. I feel as a whole, we are working toward improving our services so that we can meet the students' expectations.

The field of survey development is highly evolved, backed by a lot of study. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that knowledge is used when surveys are prepared.

Are you suggesting that the surveys should have more yes/no questions?

Barney, who is responsible for developing the corrective action plans? Who monitors their impact? Has this been an effective practice or do you find the institution slips back into its old ways after awhile?

Robert, sounds like the standard procedure. What results have you seen from the practice?

Exit counseling might add something new to the discussion, Pamela. Is this done for every exiting student - even graduates? Who does it? What have you learned?

Well we meet with each individual student who wants to be seen. Some of the positive results have been more healthy choices in the vending machines, better interaction with student services and an overall more enjoyable campus environment.

At our school we try various methods to help with retention. Students are contacted after every day missed to find out the reason and ask when they will return. We survey students at least once a month in different areas. The surveys are kept short and only focus on one topic at a time. We do "student appreciation" events a few times a year.

Sign In to comment