Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is as simple as starting class on time to implementing and offering internships to our students. Only the most astute and knowledgeable students can participate.

We hold each student accountable. If they have missed any class or assignment it is their responsibility to be proactive about their absence.

Integrity from faculty and staff also play a big role in student expectations. If instructors are not proactive, we will not give the students the opportunity to be proactive.

Administration is always open to hear concerns that the students have. If a student feels that their expectations are not being met, we talk to students on how to better help the student. I like the idea of evaluations which our school currently is not doing. That will be our next step in our ongoing efforts to ensure that the student expectations are met.

Currently, one thing that I know is done, is that, our director in the first few weeks of the course each semester implements an instructor evaluation, and course evaluation.
This is randomly instituted throughtout each semester, and instructor evaluations are again instituted at the end of each semester, replies are given to the instructors via email.
We are able to look at the answers given and reflectively take into condsideration any negative comments, so that we may constanly alter or make neccasary changes to improve the quality of our programs, and look at the positive comments to see what aspects seem to be working well in the classroom.

Thanks for the on-line modules, I always find them useful in my development as an instructor.

All that sounds good Robert, but what percentage of students ask to be seen? Has this practice improved retention and satisfaction?

Jessica, what topics are covered in these short surveys? Do the students see any results from their participation?

"Only the most astute and knowledgeable students can participate" in what, Justin? Accountability is important, but taken to extremes can be counter-productive.

If you're not doing evaluations how do you measure satisfaction, Joshua? Must a student initiate the conversation about their expectations?

Todd, what have been the most useful responses for you? Do you make adjustments frequently as a result of this procedure?

If students have a problem, then they will initiate the conversation.

Is that really your experience, Joshua? I'm certain they will initiate a conversation with their peers, friends and relatives. I'm not so sure they will initiate a conversation with faculty or staff.

I like the fact that students have the opportunity to discuss their progression with a counsellor. I personally feel that some students need to have their careers re-directed because they don't show the apptitude towards a first chosen field. The problem is drawing the line between realism of a chosen field versus perseverance to succeed.

We are a very small college so our entire staff has an overall excellent relationship with out students. As for myself, I am in the front office all day so I see each student that walks through the door, I always make sure to greet them and ask how their day is going. If I hear any student is unhappy with an experience at our college I make sure to take care of the situation myself or let someone know who will take care of it. I really like the fact that our school is smaller than most colleges because I feel that the students here really feel that they do matter to each staff member.

all the exectations come from we the instructers at are school. are reps seam to not tell the new students this is easy but welding is a form of art/ skill. i am lucky i have ben teaching weld ing for 24 years. so i can back up and make it a little better for the students when thay start there lab work by keeping everything a simple understanding of what thay neen to do. telling my students that thay did it wright and the words good job works wanders to help them meet there golds/exectations and gives satisfaction to keep them going

Unfortunately, I feel that my institution often is more concerned with the bottom line than the realistic expectations of the students. We have recruiters who enroll students, but often they do not fully explain the requirements and expectations of the program. Instructors are left to fill the void left by the inadequate information given to the students. We instructors do our best to equip all students to meet the expectations of the profession.

At our school, surveys are given out to each student after they have completed a course. This way, they can give us a feedback about the professor and if the course has met their expectations. Since we are an online school we provide a link to the survey at the end of the course. It is very convenient and they are usually very excited to complete it. In addition to that, we eventually launch a survey about the overall satisfaction. Also the student affairs department holds a video-call in a monthly basis to inform any news and provide guidance and orientation to the students. During this session we collect valuable information about the student satisfaction and expectations.

We use a survey system. Our individual course length is 3 weeks and at the end of the 3 weeks we issue a survey for the students to complete. Name is optional on the surveys and they cover topics such as the instructors performance, the support staff, tools and training aides.
The instructors have the opportunity to view the course survey results to look for any changes that they may be able to improve upon.

Ralph, is re-direction a possibility at your school? What's the impact on expense to the student and financial aid?

olivia, you must be one of the most people in the school. Do students regularly seek you out for help?

gary, have you thought about preparing a video that could be shown to prospective students? That could be an effective way to assure that they are getting accurate information.

Monica, it's great to hear that your students are usually excited to complete end of course surveys. This is somewhat contrary to the experience of many others. What makes the difference?

Sign In to comment