Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hilary, is survey completion mandatory? If not, do you observe a significant reduction in response as the student progresses through the program?

Mark, who is responsible for reviewing and summarizing the student critiques? This tool sounds like it could be very useful, but it also sounds like a practice that could generate considerable dissatisfaction for students and those who prepare the reports. How long has the institution been doing this? What are the results?

Have you considered a computerized early alert system that could streamline the process and perhaps increase utilization?

We have 2 Assoicate Deans of Education who tabulate and summarize the results. The outcome of the confidential critiques are reported to the Dean of Ed. and School Director. Issues related to instruction are addressed by the Deans, administrative issues are addressed by the School Director. Students are informed that teachers never see the critiques and are asked not to put thier name on the critique unless they would like feedback on a issue.

We used the Wonderlic instrument several years back but found it did not allow enough general comment space. We migrated back to the current system which is working well.

We recently implemented a new student administrative software system that has an electronic notification app that we plan to move the alert process on.

Thanks, Mark. Sounds like a very thorough system that involves the people who has the authority/responsibility to react to the findings.

What sort of changes can be related to this system?

Loren Kroh

Most important thing for sutdent is to see the application or the use of subject matter in their woking field/ major. And this is human nature-Unless we don't see the use of things, it is not important for us.So most important for Instructor/Schol need is to give the example of relevent subject. So students will find it more interesting. And if they will find it subject or class interesting, they will try not to miss class. And eventually they will try their best to get good grades and will remain the student in class mentally and physically.

At the end of the quarter/semister our school is giving survey to filled up and arrgae a field trip or speaker experties, where they can see the future expectation and requirment to apply for certain positions And also students can see the application of subject matter.

Right you are, chhayaben. None of us like to feel we are wasting our time with irrelevant activities. Have you developed any methods to make sure your students are fully engaged?

Sometimes I feel that we are so caught up in the students that are struggling, that we don't pay enough attention to the rest of the population. After each course, there is a student survey on how they felt the class was taught. I don't think this is enough. We also need some form of counselor on campus to help with students that have issues and just need to talk. So often they come to us in administration and we don't know how to help.

My institution has monthly meetings where we discuss students' performance and see if an intervention is needed. We have surveys and evaluations that students take periodically to let the school know what can be done to make their experience better.

Asking for student feedback around mid-term might provide more timely information. Also, if you don't have counselors on campus, do you have referral resources that can be used to respond quickly to student needs?

Has this combination of activities proven to be effective, Jessica? Has persistence improved?

I believe it has. Because we are a small school, we are in constant contact with our director and each other.

We have end of class surveys which evaluate the class content and the instructor's ability. e also hold many student centered events during each start week, such as welcome breakfast and a free lunch.

Expectations with students are discussed during orientation and the first week of class. We encourage that attendance is the number one factor employers look for in the career fields we train for. Students are encouraged to notify us when a student will miss class or will be late just like they would if they were on the job. We also have instructors on staff that are employers who hire so students need to put there best foot forward everyday because they never know when an opportunity will arise.

The majority of our staff and instructors work in the field. We take our student out on jobs with us and/or our advisory board members. This gives them a chance to see what its like in the "real world" and compare it to what they are learning in the classroom.

Our Student service team is very accessible to students throughout their time on campus. Student Services meet with each student within the first 6 weeks of their attendance on campus and make presentations in the classrooms with a Q&A at the end. This helps students know who they can meet with if they have questions. Our Student Services team also treats our student's like customers; therefore if they don't have the answers, they can direct them to someone who can assist with the student's individual needs.

Surveys are also given at the completion of each course to measure student satisfaction.

Like most people on this forum, our institution distributes semester surveys for each course. We have made changes in the past based on student feedback but I think we could be better about making it known that the changes were due to the surveys. We visit each classroom towards the end of the semester to have students complete their surveys.
In addition, I'm always concerned about new starts and their expectations, so I schedule a meeting with all of them at orientation that takes place in the 3rd or 4th week of the semester. We have a one-on-one to see how things are going and how they are feeling about the program. Unfortunately, I get about 50%-60% show rate and am always trying to come up with a better way to encourage the students to come to those appointments. My hope is that with these one-on-ones we can catch those students whose expectations are not being met as some of them will drop before the surveys are distributed at the end of the semester.

Eric, have you run into any problems with instructors also being prospective employers? Have you gotten any negative feedback from students who feel they were shunned or who didn't have that person for class?

Interesting. How often do the students get this real world exposure? Is it as a class or individually? How are students and mentors paired?

Erinn, what is the ratio of Student Services staff to student? This ratio seems to vary widely at different schools.

Sign In to comment