Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a really great idea, I'd love to start doing it! Do you have this set up just for their first term? Do you only use instructors taht these students have for their first term, or the entire faculty?

We discuss expectations for each course at the beginning of each term and involve the students in setting expectations for the instructors and themselves to get them to buy in to the course objectives and outcomes

I attempt to help my students understand that the "book" contains a large amount of very important information, and it is all important. I also explain that unless they are computer professionals they will not be required to know all of the information.

My job is to help them set attainable expectations for themselves, the course and the school. I want them to have realistic expectations which will give us a better opportunity to fill their expectations. As professionals we should be very aware of what the student needs to succeed in their chosen field and take that as our responsibility.

On the whole my students are usually satisfied with my courses and our program, and they believe that I know and will ensure that they will be taught everything that they will need to pass the course and apply it to their choosen career.

We normally contact students via telephone if they are absent. By doing so exemplifies that we are concerned about their well being and their education as well.

We often follow up with great customer service through the phone and or emails. We periodically use student surveys and discuss the results in our Retention meetings. What really aids in our confirmation is our step by step process that each department follows for every procedure that is done. This way, if one step is missed, the next step cannot be completed. It is a self-check system that everyone uses.

student progress is reported at mid term. I personally let students know where they are weekly. (sorry i missed your question i do these courses from two computers.)

The first thing we had to do was find out what they were being promised. For example, we’re a new school, and initially, our admissions team was telling everyone one advantage we had was small classes. We grew exponentially, and one of the drawbacks was we no longer had the space nor the faculty to keep classes small, but incoming students were still being promised that, then complaining that their Eng 101 class had 50 students in it. Once we identified the issue our short-term solution was the have admissions stop promising that. Long-term, we’re expanding to meet our needs.

At the end of each completed course, Students are a given a survey to rate the instructors, curriculum, and services.

My institution strives for a high retention rate. The willingness to listen to the students questions and/or problems and assisting without being judgmental where necessary to beneficial to the students when they perceive a bump in the road. We find that the 1st and 2nd quarters are the most critical. This period makes the student aware of what they are giving up and possibly losing to attend school. Once a student makes it to the third quarter we find the retention rate climbing. The students now have too much invested to casually drop out on a whim.

These work well, unless the student had a negative experience and wrote a comment about something that upset them.

We have surrveys at the end of every class, as well as a careere services department that monitors the success of our students not only on internship, but after graduationa s well.

We require the students to enter items into their portfolios from each and every class they take. The students seem to like this as they put their best papers in it. It gives the student a huge sense of accomplishment and they feel very satisfied.

The question posted here is:
What does your institution do to assure that student expectations are being met and that they are satisfied?

Perhaps this question itself offers a first insight into the notion of expectations and online education. Let us consider the question of “student expectations”.

What exactly are student expectations, and is it the responsibility of an Academic Institution to meet all student expectations?

As a Professor of 20 years, I can safely say that there are a wide range of student expectations.
Some students expect to work hard for their degree.

Some students expect to pass all their classes because they paid for them
Some students expect that accelerated classes are fast and easy.

Some students expect private tutoring
Some students expect to successfully change careers or gain a new career once they graduate
Some students expect a high degree of flexibility in an online program
etc. etc.

Should all student expectations be met?
Can all student expectations be met?

It is the obligation of an institution to offer honesty and clarity. Students should be informed about what the true expectations of Academic Achievement in college are, and how to best meet these expectations.

Why is it so important to help students to learn that they must meet requirements and expectations?
Our job as instructors is to prepare students for employment. In an employment setting, it will be the employer, and not the student, who will set and require certain expectations.

Perhaps an important first step is to ask students what their expectations are, and then to help them to clarify and balance those expectations with the expectations of academic achievement.

I have participated in four college accreditation interviews and processes, three with online institutions. During each, the number one question asked was “is this online college of the same caliber as a traditional college?”

My answer is always “yes” because the expectations are the same and the learners understand and adhere to the expectations.
In all cases, communication is the first step.

One of the most basic is an instructor and course critique that is filled out by the students at the end of every class. While the students are happy to fill it out, the biggest drawback is that they very infrequently bring up their issues while class is in progress, so that the instructor finds out about a students dissatisfaction only after they've left our class.

communicate with students

Other than the usual evaluations, the place I work at ensure that the students can communicate with the teachers and program directors. All of the lead instructors and program directors have offices with no doors, so we always have an open door.

We also have a new program that allows students to have a 30 day period in which they are asked frequently how they are doing academically and if they are satisfied with their education.

We have course evaluations at the end of each block that students are asked to complete. Instructors are required to view these. Periodically, the school president hosts student luncheons where students have the opportunity to voice their concerns regarding the school, the curriculum or instructors.

Absolutely! Surveys are an excellent method to learn more about student reactions, expectations, attitudes, and desired alterations.

End of class surveys can often reveal how learners felt about the class itself, the textbook, the navigation, the instructor, and the value of the course.

While there might always be a student who chooses to offer poor results due to poor performance, most learners are very interested in sharing honest feedback. This feedback is invaluable when trying o better understand student expectations and feelings.

We have constant feedback in the form of satisfaction surveys

Do the involved parties see the data?

Sign In to comment