Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At our school, we closely monitor new students and both Admissions and Student Services personnel contact them during the first term to ensure everything is going well. Our institution also gives students satisfaction surveys every third term in addition to the graduate satisfaction surveys they complete when they are enrolling in their final term. Unfortunately, we (in Student Services) don't tend to see the data from the surveys given every third term, so sometimes we give our own surveys that help to identify the problem areas that we know we have the tools to make changes in (providing more tutoring services, etc...)

We have a meeting every morning before class starts.We discuss students expectations and how to meet them on a daily basis.

We also use a student satisfaction survey but we also poll the students after each term so that we can get the fresh feedback and suggestions from them directly. I feel that it allows the student to have direct impact and be able to feel heard by the instructor. Students have good ideas about what works for them and what doesn't and they aren't afraid to tell us.

Each term student satisfaction surveys are completed, reviewed, and acted upon. In addition, each department works very closely to monitor student engagement, attendance, and the overall progress of each student.

students take a survey at the end of each module to determine their satisfaction with the school, instructor and other departments in the school. I feel that this is not really a true expression of the student's feelings as most of them answer the way they think the school or survey company wants them to answer. If I see or feel that the student is uncomfortable in the class, then I speak with them after class to see if they are willing to discuss the problem and come to some solution before it reaches crisis level.

Our academy has a mid-course evaluation for the students to give feedback to the instructor, then discussed in class. Overall, this is a strong interaction with students to give their feedback on the specific course. The students also has a end of course evaluation as well; which is turned into the registrars office.

The instructors give out a mid-course evaluation to students to give opinions to how they evaluate the teaching skills and the lab activities. After a short period of time, the papers are collected and a group discussion is implemented. Open forum which gets the students engaged. The forum is successful and 99% effective with serious debates and fun rolled up into one session. Our group of instructions are the most non-selfish individuals. We are truly there for the students.
Each program has their own club, The well-deserved students are ambassadors to help students and instructors. I enjoy my job at UMA and hope to continue there for an undisclosed amount of time.
Our program director is very involved in implementation of keeping students satisfied.

Carolyn, it seems odd that Student Services wouldn't see the data from a student satisfaction survey. Any idea why?

Sounds like a good practice, Kerry. How do you solicit the feedback and what sort of suggestions do you get? Could you share an example of something you implemented?

Why do you think a student would answer the survey questions in the way they think the school or survey company wants them to answer, Anne?

Our instituion has surveys. One for the performance of their instuctor the other one is for the performance of the office staff. we do this when students are in basics and then move to intermediate then to senior. All these are reviewed by the educational department, then feedback is given back at a meeting to all instructora and staff.

We usually go into the class rooms once and a while ask students questions about their feelings and needs, write them down and see how we can better help and assist them.

We have students do a survey on the instructors and we have them give us feedback on if their expectations are being met. We do this three times a year. We have a comittee of a few staff memebr that read thru all the surveys and they put together what students say. We then hold a meeting for all staff to go over how and if the students expectations are being met and what changes we can make to help out.

At our institution we do have a basic evaluation and a senior evaluation inwhich the students do a survey of the class and instructor for that time period (basic and seniors) these surverys are then collected and reviewed by a committee and then we have a monthly meeting with all staff and instructors and go over everything with them as to how to fix the things that we can and focus on areas that are more needed.

How productive is this, Karen? Who monitors the results?

Belinda, would you please share some examples of changes that have been recommended?

Simone, do these recommendations create any discussion? How much input to the instructors have in developing the fixes?

We have mid term evaluations where not only does the instructor meet with the students but at the end of the term the students fill out annonymous questionnaires on not only the subject matter but also the instructor so we can get honest feedback about the course materials and the way we present them. We also have a weekly review to try and figure out if we lost some students along the week regarding the lessons.

We provide a one page document that describes the program selected, and anticipated outcomes. Additionally, our students have trial period that they can experience the program, however if they find the program is not for them they can opt out at no obligation or cost.

I fell this met my expectation. I have been in this industry for over 25 years and found it to be of value but also a reiteration of things that I have used, tried or heard over the years.I see this to be a very good module for ALL of my employees to take in developing a strategic retention plan.

Sign In to comment