Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When you say "they" give out surveys and get feedback, it suggests that you're not involved, Ashley. What's your role in the process? What do "they" tell you that would help you do your job better?

How does this course evaluation help you do your job better, Carlos?

Karitsa, what is the support service that allows students to better communicate with faculty and staff?

Framing the question is the first step finding an answer, Jan. What's the next step?

How often do you do the classroom simulations, Mark? How is this technique received by your colleagues? I would think this could be a very useful training tool.

I use the classroom simulations at least a couple of times per term when the chapters discussed permits me to. This technique has been received very well by my colleagues so much so that during one of our faculty-in service seminars one of the simulations I use in my classroom was used amongst my constituents who all stated that they were impressed how the target of the discussion was indelibly impressed into their minds of comprehension and application. They all commented on how they too were going to employ these simulations in their classrooms to motivate their students in digesting the subject matter in a substantial, productive, and useable way.

Tne way to assure student expectations are being met is to... properly inform them about costs,
help them understand the skills required to succeed in your course or classroom, hopefully students have basic skills and understand the time commitment, and finally assist your students in having a realistic understanding of skills they will have when they graduate and the type of job they can expect.

Congratulations, Mark. It would appear that you have made a significant and positive contribution to your students and colleagues.

Good outline for a well run operation, Chris. How is your institution doing in meeting these standards?

Based on the feedback I may change my method of teaching to try address the issues. I will not be able to address all the issues. For example I could only make an effort to request the change from upper management. Like the textbook being used. Which I have done numerous time. Also the equipment being out of date. There is one thing that a small amount of students complain about which is starting the class in time that I can address. I have been starting my classes about 15 mins late. It is not because I am late to class, I am always there about 25 mins early. It is that I get too many students coming in late. So, I avoid the disruption of the lecture and when it is a lab it helps keeping the class in synch. I feel that if I start on time their would be a good number of students that will get frustrated because they are trying to play catch up and in some case ask other students for help to catch them up and slow down those students.

We use a satisfaction survey. Every student that leaves a comment is contacted and thanked for taking the time to respond to the survey and ask if they would like to discuss any issues.

Towards the end of each course, the student is asked to complete an evaluation of the course and the instructor. These have proven extremely helpful to us all.

Our institution conducts end of term student surveys for each course. We also conduct two surveys per year to assess the student's satisfaction with other aspects of the university besides the specific course they have just completed. The institution takes great efforts to make sure that we get the highest response rates from the student body. Responses are read at the administrative level and information is shared (albeit not always in great detail or timely) with the faculty involved.

@LorenKroh :We are currently using an outside resource program called Starfish.  This is a program that helps staff better communicate with students and students with staff.  The platflorms used allow us to also use a tracking system that makes it possible  for us to take a more holistic apporach to student success rather than concentrating solely on students with classic at-risk characteristics.

Our advisors do the same.  Managing expectations of what to expect as a result of the education received lends itself to a good academic experience.

Sign In to comment