Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

WE also have satisfaction surveys at our school. The information is compiled and discussed with the Academic dean and then why try to address the concerns that are in the surveys. WE give feed back to the students and show the students that we have heard their comments.

We have a survey at the end of each course that allows the students to provide their feedback. One area of opportunity is to take action on the feedback and share with the user community the expected improvements or changes associated with their feedback. Very few organizations are good at data analysis, Root cause analysis and implementing systemic and sustainable change. We need to consider the entire closed loop process and not just data gathering.

Student satisfaction surveys are done at the end of each module. Semi-annual overall student satisfaction surveys are taken and reviewed for our Campus Effectiveness Plan.

Great story, Jacqueline. Thanks for sharing. As you say, the small rewards really do make it all worthwhile.

I'm curious, Fernando. Why did you capitalize we in your entry?

Good point, Steven. Use the data to identify areas for improvement and then set measurable objectives and determine areas of authority/accountability.

Caryn, who is responsible for developing the Campus Effectiveness Plan and what sort of actions are driven from the student satisfaction surveys? Does the Effectiveness Plan translate into individual goals?

I am pretty new to the education field but I am very excited and motivated to be learning new subjects and techniques, especially about retention.
At the school I work at, we give a Student Satisfaction survey at the end of each module which includes questions about the admissions department, finances, instructors etc.. After reviewing these surveys, I realized that giving the students the Student Satisfaction Survey was not enough. Those students who withdraw or drop out will not be taking these surveys because they leave before the module is over. I realized that if we wanted to improve retention, we should have another survey given at orientation on the first day of class so we get feedback from everyone.
The survey given out at orientation discusses the catalog, admissions, and policies. The students know I have an open door policy and they can come to me for anything. I think by giving the new survey at orientation it makes the student more relaxed and ease better into the program and what to expect which could ultimately lead to better retention.

I applaud your understanding about some of the limitations of end-of-period surveys, Asher. How long have you been doing the survey at orientation? Is it too soon to know how effective it is?

Every semester a Student Survey is given to students to get their feedback of the college. The faculty and staff remind students to complete this survey. This helps us to know if we are meeting the student's needs and if they are satisfied and what we can improve upon.

Usually our lectures are followed by a lab activity to solidify the information that was taught. When the lab activity is completed the instructor must sigh off and assure the lab was performed properly. At this time I will ask the student if they were satisfied with this exercise. I have found this a good measure for student satisfaction

Our institution has trained their admissions staff to inform the student of what is realisticly expected of them during their tenure at the school. The instructors are expected to monitor student attendance, identify students who may be struggling and mentor them through any issues that they may have. In addition, the Program Directors/Deans meet weekly to discuss at-risk students,meet with those students and help the student to resolve any issues that may prevent them from attending class. Students with life issues are referred to Student Affairs for referrals to outside agencies and organizations that may be of assistance. End of term/module surveys are conducted and the results are reviewed with instructors and other pertinent staff members. Quarterly institutional surveys are completed and students are contacted regarding any issues identified. Communication is the important key here.

They do periodic student surveys for feedback
The students like this because its they don't use
Their names and they can speak more freely

Jamie, how has this practice helped you do your job better? Has it improved performance at your institution?

Spell check doesn't always catch everything. I'm sure Michael meant sign off, but I suspect there are times that instructors actually want to sigh off. It's what they do after that determines how effective they are.

Seems to touch all the bases, Lisa. How well does it work? Is there a system in place to monitor the performance all these practices?

Hello thank you for the email question. I would like to say my school works very hard to make sure that the students expectations are being met by having meetings regularly, with our students, so that the students, are able to voice their opinions, on any issues that they may be facing, as far as their education. By having these meetings, I have noticed this seems to satify and keep the students happy.

Student satisfaction surveys are completed every three months. Students are also randomly selected by management and interviewed for face to face interaction.

Student expectations greatly outweigh their basic skills. Step by step pre-college courses / a set of modules would greatly enhance the retention record, and improve the odds of retaining unnecessary attrition, due to failed academics, self-esteem and failure to transition from high school experience to the college arena. These prerequisite courses would include:

1) Vocabulary - (words, prefixes, roots and
suffixes, and advanced vocab)
2) Arithmetic to Pre-Algebra (Prereq. for Algebra)
3) Basic paragraphs (Prereq. for Freshman Comp.)
4) Etiquette - School Behavior
5) Student Skills: Study techniques,(pre-, post
and during reading skills and
note taking techniques)
6) Goal Setting and Time Managment
7) Juggling school work and family

THese are just a few vocational college prerequities that would prepare a non-traditional student for skills necessary for General Education and the Medical (or technical) fields.

Our school gives student surveys every 9 weeks to see what their opinions are at that time, and have been making changes to accordance to what the students are asking to have. Down side it affects the instructor because if a student marks anything negative it goes agains us and our yearly review for wage increase.

Sign In to comment