Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Employer Pre-Engagement Preparation | Origin: CS115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Developing and Maintaining Effective Employer Partnerships --> Employer Pre-Engagement Preparation

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I learned about Dice.com which I didn't know of.  Also, having some of these ideas on my own, this just affirms I was on the right track.  

I learned about multiple ways employers can be a resource rather than soley for hiring purposes. I can see several of these ideas being iincorporated within our workshops/employer events moving forward. 

Recently I have been receiving requests to post jobs for students while they are enrolled in school. These jobs do not coincide with the students program of study but would help them with to obtain a part-time job. Employers are increasingly finding it difficult to fill their job vacencies.  

I will definietly implement the pre engagement preparation

I learned some new or unique areas to connect with employers that I haven't utilized before

I like the 5 part framework for working with employers. 

I really like the idea of having on online job board. I think a lot of students would utilize it.

What I learned is the importance of flexibility with industry partners, and to meet them where they're at (i.e. give space to build the relationship, and to allow the partner to voice what is in their capacity at the moment). An example of this would be in the employer service offerings. Due to COVID, maybe a partner can no longer host students/faculty/staff at their facilities, but giving the option to do a virtual visit where they can highlight the company, and the open internship/entry-level positions. You can be intentional in asking the company/organization for culturally diverse professionals to present on their experiences, their acaedmic and career journey, where do they find community/support, and how culture and demographics have related to the work that they're doing. 

We discovered various ways to enage an employer that would benefit both parties; identifying skills, mock interviewing, guest speakers, and curriculum development with that employer in mind. The level of interaction proves positive for everyone with the utlimate goal of building a partnership to benefit the career seeker.

From my point of view one of the most important issues in the relationship with the employers is the capacity of the institution to update the programs curriculums aligned with the ultimate technology and sector innovation. For doing this, you need to interact with your employer partner  network but also hiring innovating faculties who really manage and know the last innovations in the field. This is a encourage virtually circle hard to build but is crucial for a success partnership with the sector companies.    

Being new to higher education and nto as knowledgable of the healthcare field as I would want to be, one of my main take aways is to dive into the curriculum and inductry. Make sure that you are informed and knowledgeable of the field because this can ruin your credibility which can ruin relationships. The engagement are important and they grow/evolve over time with employers. You want to make sure that each are receiving benefits from the engagement. 

I am very new to this school to work world and am finding out a ton of informaiton about being prepared for what employers expect is daunting. My facility doesn't have those amenities so we are going to have to retool the standards a bit. I'm sure we can attract employers without all of the bells and whistles. 

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it? Take a few minutes to post your response and learn more from your peers.

I learned that employer engagement is key.  Creating and maintaing advisory boards and buy in from community stakeholders is crucial to understanding the needs of the local workforce and how to best prepare students to meet the.  The relationships with those trusted business partners can turn into internship, mentorship, job shadowing, employment, classroom speakers, and more to benefit the education of our learners and help prepare them for life outside of school.  To apply this, I will create a minimum of two adviorsories per year with feedback and knowledge on current industry trends and ideas for preparing our learners.  

I learned about the possibility of offerng our employers access to on campus interviewing. As well the 5 elements of Employer relationship and networking. 

In a new role in employer engagement, I learned several strategies that can be used when meeting and engaging with employers.  The assessment module is also key in determining what we are doing and not doing in my institution.

I have a better understanding on how a solid relationship and partnership with employers can assists in growing my institution and increase the odds that my graduates will be employed quickly. 

Working for a large community college that serves a lot of students and employers statewide, I think the question of what level of service is appropriate for our employment partners is important. We could benefit from thinking about the cost analysis of what we are providing them and what the outcomes are for our students.

It is important to tailor your employer engagement strategy to the specific needs of your institution and the employers in your community.
It is also important to build relationships with employers at all levels, from small businesses to large corporations.
There are many different ways to engage with employers, such as career fairs, internships, and apprenticeships.
It is important to track the outcomes of your employer engagement efforts so that you can measure your success and make necessary adjustments.

When engaging employers, using the five-part framework including advising, capacity building, co-designing, convening and leading can create successful relationships with the employers and the community while serving the institution.  

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities