Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Programmatic Intervention Strategies | Origin: CS201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Institutional Best Practices to Maximize Graduate Employment Outcomes --> Programmatic Intervention Strategies

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I'm new to CS. If 81% of hiring managers and HR decision-makers surveyed identified past work experience as the number one attribute considered in the hiring process, then how do we get employers to give recent graduates a chance during COVID-19? 

Giving our students and alumni the best opportunities for interships and to volunteer are very benefial for them.

It's so important to give our students and graduates opportunities for professional development through events, workshops, etc. In order to best assist them, we as CSS have to continue and stay up to date in our own training and education in the field. 

There was a statistic given that there are over 1600 students to 1 career staff professional.  That ratio is obviously unsustainable for student career success.  Fortunately the ratio at our school is much lower than that.  We utilize many of the oractices outlined in his section such as internships and co-op opportunities.  Our program has the advantage of being a licensed trade with apprenticeship built in.  Earning while a student learns relieves the student of onerous student debt and allows learning tailor made for the on the job portion of the apprenticeship.

That there is a need for all student support staff( teachers, counselors as well as administration) to be continually trained on the most up to date methods of professional development. I believe bringing in speakers to address staff on such matters would be very beneficial. I also liked the idea of a network mixer. Using industry partners, potential employers, and advisory members to meet with students would be a great way of introducing students to the available opportunities that await them. In our current times this is an event that could be easily accomplished using Zoom or other digital platforms.

We could try to develop more service learning opportunties. They are a win-win for students, school, and community in that they could provide authentic work experiences for students to use on resumes plus improves our community public relations. Not only does it give back to community in need, it could also help to keep our name out there for recruitment purposes.

Continuing education equals continuing improvement. Institutions providing experiential learning opportunities have a increased empolyment success rate. Education for staff to increase their knowledge of how these programs enhance a students ability to understand the needs of an employer as well as the employers having the opportunity to screen potential candidates should benefit everyone in the institution.  

PD iin career servicess needed more than ever as legislation,the economy, and job search techniques evolve over time. I will continue to be effective in my role in career services by networking with industry professionals

Experiential learning is one of the best ways for students to demonstrate and build new skills in the workforce.  Having the ability to have experiential learning experiences can lead to gainful employment with higher wages more rapidly than through traditional methods.  Employers are able to have basically an extended interview to see whether the student is competent in the skills necessary to complete the job task and has the professional or employability skills they are looking for.  Students can also develop those skills in programs that can be held by career services or in programs that are associated with Individual plans toward career readiness.

I have learned that the different types of experiential learning programs not only allow students to practice and apply the knowledge and skills they are learning in the classroom but also increases employment opportunties becuase they are applying thier skills and gaining epxeirence in their chosen career field and thus employers will see this on their resume or see them in these learning programs and will be more adapt to hire them because they will already have some expereince under their belt whcih is what employers and human resources look for when hiring.  

Continuing education equals continuing improvement. Institutions providing experiential learning opportunities have an increased employment success rate. and I do not agree with the study that takes 1600 plus graduates to 1 CS representative. 

Experiential learning is a great way for nearing graduates to build their confidence in their skills and self. This gives students who have not had the opportunity to work in their fielld of interest prior to enrollment or those that did not have employable skills to practice those skils while under the "student" title. Externship experience will help boost the resume making the student more marketable to employers which in turn then boosts employment rates. 

Concerted efforts are key to the success of Career Services.

To maximize graduate employment outcomes, I'll implement programmatic intervention strategies. This includes early career exploration, integrating relevant skills into the curriculum, organizing networking events, providing job search support, engaging alumni, and analyzing employment data. By offering workshops, mentorship programs, and practical experiences, connecting students with industry professionals, enhancing career services, establishing mentoring initiatives, and evaluating data, we can enhance graduates' employability and success in their chosen careers.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities