Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Projects for Your Students | Origin: CS101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Setting Up an Effective Career Services Department --> Projects for Your Students 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've learned the importance of creating workshops, either through indivual sessions or a group setting, to discuss the details of job preparidness such as dressing appropriately, practicing interview skills, resume creation, follow up, asking for the company manual, and how to retain your job.

In this section, I have learned the importance of creating workshops for students on resume, cover letters, networking, interviews, maintaining employment, negotiating salary, and seeking advancement.  Several of these topics can be covered in a high school Career Service Department.  One important topic, to discuss with students, is sending a follow up letter. This is an important transferrable skill that all students should learn.

I go into each class at our Career-Tech center and teach lessons on interviewing. I learned a lot in this lesson that I need to add to my lesson. Also I plan on doing workshops on interviewing and follow-up so This entire lesson is important for me to revisit and use when teaching.

It is our job to help teach out students the entire job seach process. Starts with the resume, then searching for the role, teaching how to properly network and how to professionally accept or negotiate the offer. 

For students, it is important for their resume and reference list to be comprehensive and as thorough as possible. 

I learned that it's never too early to start your resume. If you start at the beginning you will continue to add your experience throughout your schooling.

I learned the power of networking and engaing with associations in your industry matter even for entry level job seekers.  Also getting and reviewing a copy of th  Employee Manual is important before accepting a job to learn about corporate culture and various company expectations of their employees.

It is important to write down all your accomplishments regardless of how small. This will be especially helpful when working with students who have limited work experience. Always keep your resume up to date and practice your responses before an interview.

Making sure students are building their resumes and practicing their interview skills.

It is important for students to not only preparing for the job seeking process but to also be prepared to discuss future promotion opportunities and negotiate for possible raises/benefits.

It is important for a student to practice their interview skills and dressing up for the part. When you practice something several times it becomes second nature to them which gives them the ability to become more confident. 

I learned that its importatnt to help the students identify their skills by looking for patterns based on their work history and to practice thier interviewing skills so they are well prepared for the position they apply for. 

Every student has different skills set. So it is very important to understand that. This will help them find their strength and weakness. Make sure that when they are doing mock interviews that they are also being critique. This will establish them to get better and better. 

I was reminded to have students review job postings/company websites to glean information about skills/values/vocabulary used to describe the position and or culture of the company. I also think reviewing the company’s mission statement can also provide insight to help you decide  if you are a good fit for the company.  Another reason to review this information is to help you cater your resume to this industry/profession and to highlight the skills you have that are in alignment with the company which you are applying to.

Teaching students about the fundamentals of interviewing is key to success. By teaching the students the basics, such as proper attire, understanding the reasoing behind questions, and preparing to interivew will offer a higher chance to be hired and stay hired.

I attended a Seminar for Resume Writing about 5 years ago and they stated including 'References Available Upon Request' dates a person and is no longer necessary or needed on resume.

I do think preparing Career Service Students with Professional and Professional References should be stressed more with emphasis on Professional vs Personal.

I learnt that while creating your resume you should take the time to recognise all past job experiences, skills learnt, accomplishments etc so that you can put forth your best skills and attribrutes on for potential employes to see. The Career Service Department should have workshops that educate students on the following. How to start your resume, build your resume, prepare reference list and then creat a final Draft. They also will teach student how to do a job search, how to network, ways of networking, how to dress when they recieve an interview, skills to use while being interviewed, how to follow up after the interview and even how to negotiate salary.

I would incoorporate all there workshop topics into our Career Service Department and have workshop for each to educate and train students seeking jobs.

I have learned that is very important to start the job search tools early on. This will allow students to have time to develop good work search skills, resume writing, and interviewing skills. They can research the job market and learn to find out about more about the job environment and culture of the opportunity they choose.   They also need to know how they can be empowered to negotiate for job salary and advancement. 

Teaching students to effectively write resumes and preparing them for interviews.

Getting an individual to better understand themselves by listing their strength and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, realizing their skills and accomplishments, will not only help with the composition of a resume' but, essentially realize ones criteria and career path.

Keeping track, of accomplishments and skills will also help with developing confidence.

Someone with confidence and training in negotiating, will be more opt to ask about promotions and pay-raises.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities