Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

students will learn all included in the resume and practice interview skills. 

Since career planning begins when a student enters a program, it is a good idea to start the resume development process by students completing a worksheet that allows them to take inventory of their experiences to include employment and non-employment activities. Conducting informational interviews early on will allow them to learn what future employers are looking for in their ideal candidates for positions.

I learned the importance of starting early with resume building, to ensure that all accomplishments and skills are included for both employment and personal experiences. 

Not only is an effective resume very important but the interview as well. Be prepared for what they are looking for and build your response on the job you are applying for. Keep in mind what is expected and what you would like to gain from the company not just now but in the future.

I learned  that for resume building you must emphasize the skills and qualifications that are directly applicable to the position you are applying for. Highlight your technical expertise, certifications, and relevant educational background that make you a strong candidate. Showcase your work history, highlighting key accomplishments, responsibilities, and projects that demonstrate your abilities and achievements in previous roles. Quantify your achievements whenever possible to provide concrete evidence of your impact.

I believe that active engagement with students will have a greater impact on student job acquisition effectiveness. Chunking the resume writing process into sequential projects instead of handing out a worksheet or pointing to a website will help create enduring understandings. Creating a catalog of workshops that serve varied needs will help. 

I've learned that as Career Services Department, it is important to offer a variety of workshops to our students to make sure they are well prepared and ready for the professional world. 

I learnt that graduates need to be taught the importance of following up after interviews. They also need to know that it is okay to negotiate the salary they deserve.

When job searching, I learned that being prepared is everything.  Building resumes and references to learning about soft skills and non skills helps to customize your resume to fit the needs employers are looking for.  Networking is a great way to seek employment and spread the word about your accomplishments to be a successful candidate for hire.

Giving students a variety of workshop option, both individual and group is a great strategy to help students build a solid plan for employment.

I've learned that informational interviews are helpful to students because they create a more relax environment for student s to inquire about the company workplace, expectations, retention, and advancement. It's also best to begin practicing interviews as earlier as possible.

It's important for students to develop comprehensive resumes and references, and start networking early to learn about the professional culture and meet others who might help their careers take flight.

I have learned the importance of being detail-oriented on how to progress in your career journey, even as a student. For example, a student should be exposed to workshops on salary negotiation that can be utilized even in an entry-level position. Being forward-thinking will propel our students into their career path. It replaces the mindset from "I just need a job!" to "How can I find the right job for me?". 

Creating workshops, interview practice and enhancing skills related to job retention all play an important roll at our facility.

I never really thought about teaching students and near graduates how to ask for a raise down the road. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities