Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Title IX is all about creating a safe environment for the students so they can focus on learning, verses feeling unsafe in their learning environment. This also makes it clear what they can do and who they can report the incident to, if their rights under this act have been violated, I love how it's open for them to speak with numerous people, so they'll be more likely to come forward, since they might have the choice of a staff member they are comfortable speaking to about the situation.

Title IX was created to protect all employees and students. 

The importance of Title IX is importanct for the safety of all students and employees. Today we are seeing changes in the defination of gender and orientation. All people need protected regardless of their personal lifestyles, 

I agree that there needs to be a bigger convsersation in regards to this topic and the relevance of online/zoom classes taking more presence than on site classes.

Much of what is contained within Title IX should be common sense for most of us at this point in 2021.  The fact is that too often it appears that the offender is unaware that their behavior is offensive and has much to do with their previous background and/or lack of awareness and training.  The great benefit of this training program is to help ensure that everyone has the opportunity to become acutely aware of the parameters for correct professional behavior and to allow for the students, faculty and other pariticipants in the education process to provide the training and information that the institution is designed to provide.

Title IX was created to protect students and employees from sexual harassment and other unwanted situations. Thanks to Title IX people can feel like they are protected and safe within their educational and work environment. 

The scope of Title IX was not known to me before this or didn't "click" with me as much as learning that Title IX has been responsible for protecting collegiate athletes. I have seen articles about the lopsided treatment of college basketball, football etc, athletes but hadn't realized that Title IX would cover them as well. 

I also didn't realize that the Title IX coordinator contact information needs to be posted on the campus website. Something that I will be checking up on with our own website. 

Everyone should be respected period.

I learned that Title IX and VAWA were enacted in order to provide a safe and comfortable environment for all staff, faculty and students. I also learned that institutions are required to report all complaints of sexual violence. I will apply these lessons by participating in the sexual violence awareness and prevention programming each year.

Having these checks and balances helps protect our patrons, whether they are staff or students in our colleges and universities. The guidelines help make us aware of our surroundings.

I agree with others who have stated that this was a more in depth description of Title IX than I have experienced in the past.  The basic description that Title IX is designed to protect all who are connected to federally funded schools from any form of sexual discrimination is emmphasized, and from the discussion posts of others, it is interesting to hear their opinions on how Title IX should be applied or at least a concern for those who are teaching fully online courses.  Especially considering that most of the student-student and teacher-student interaction is through discussion boards and email.

Title 9 has changed the playing field for femaie and other minority groups.

Title IX was inacted to prohibit discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities at federally funded schools at all levels and in all aspects of an instutition's educational programs and activities.  All students, employees, applicants, and others at postsecondary institutions are protected under Title IX regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, race, or national origin.    Responsible employees must report any known information to the Title IX Coordinator; they cannot hold information in confidence if requested to do so.

VAWA also requires institutions to report any instances of dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking in addition to those items already required under the Clery act.

NOTE: Verbal sexual harrassment is not considered a VAWA crime or a Clery Act crime, although it is a Title IX offense.

Title IX  is very helpful to protect students, employees, or anyone from being discriminated against based on gender identity

The essence of Title IX is that an institution may no exclude, separate, deny benefits to, or otherwise treat defferently any person on the basis of sex unless expressly authorized to do so under Title IX or the U.S. Department of Education's implementing regulations. Title IX protects students, employees, applicants for admission and employment, and other persons from all forms of sex discrimination, including discrimination based on gender identity or failure to conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity or femininity. 

Just becuase we teach online doesn't mean we aren't exposed to attempts at harassment sexually and emotionally. infact, online you are at higher risk to be atteacked. 

I learned that VAWA and Title IX overlap as it relates to sexual misconduct and crimes. I also learned that VAWA ammended an earlier act instituted to lessen the frequency of sexual misconduct and crimes on campus and to promote awareness and respect for all.

I have received Title IX training at a university I worked at, but since I am now working for a newer college, there is a lot to be done in following all of the guidelines for Title IX and VAWA. I appreciated all of the resources I have seen so far in this training!

I learned about the expanded areas in both Title IX and VAWA to include sexual orientation definitions. It defines each act of harassment or violence in the acts and gives clear response protocols required by law from the institution about investigation and determination of incidents that are reported. 

Title IX is to protect students and employees from sexual harassment and other unwanted situations. Thanks to Title IX people can feel like they are protected and be safe.

Sign In to comment