Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While VAWA requires the institution to provide a prompt and equitable procedure for resolving complaints, I believe there is still a culture of underreporting in an effort to save face for the university. This mindset needs to change. 

As teachers and instructors we have had for many years a legal obligation to report suspected abuses that may be affecting our students, i.e. child abuse, neglect, abandonment, domestic violence, etc. to responsible services for investigation and action.    Title IX expands this responsibility in so many ways but most importantly with a requirement that we have a formal mechanism in place to deal with the issues that arrise.

All schools should have policies and procedures in place to prevent, report and investigate crimes under the Title IX, VAWA, and Clery Act guidelines.  All students and employees should be made aware of the policies and procedures.  I will adhere to the policies and procedures that my employer has set and provided to me.

Title IX protects students and employees from discrimination based on gender identity, sexual orientation, etc. We must all be aware of the policies and regulations in place that protect us as well as our students. 

What I found most interesting is how Title IX and VAWA really create this broad, inclusive interpretation to protect the most people it can in a school's community. Schools should be a safe and conducive learning environment null of harassments and other uncivil behaviors. At our institution, we are committed safeguard the safety of our students and staff. This why everyone is appointed as a Responsible Employee to not only keep the school in check RE: safety, but also holds everyone else accountable and aware of our responsivilifies should the need arise. Students and staff will be advised of Title IX and VAWA policies during their orientation and such information will also be disseminated in different media and in a timely fashion.

Title IX helps everyone establish policies that can protect everyone on campus.  It will not prevent all acts of discrimination or violence, but it can have an effect if all employees and students are well-informed from the day they arrive at school, as well as mitigating damage to victims should incidents occur.  Transparency about defining such acts helps a great deal, as well as transparency with policies, procedures, and help available to potential victims.

I have learned about Title IX. I feel that it was good review, because in online setting you have to del with many situations one on one. Better to be knowledgble in all areas, just in case. There are many different situations that can arise in an online class. As an instructor I feel that after viewing the Title IX training; I better understand all types of sexul discrimnation that can occur. 

This is the first time that I have been through this training.  It is very informative and helpful to know that the policies and procedures are there to not only help the students, but for the employees too.  To all around provide a safe environment for all is very satisfying.  The resources are all noted which makes it easier for any person within these four walls.  

It is important to review these policies annually. Strict enforcement of the law is mandatory. 

It is important to be respectful. 

Reply to Robin Wiebe's post:

This is a tough situation for online classrooms. If a student doesnt disclose transgender status, or if they are transitioning, another peer or instructor may acknowledge them in a way that could offend them and they could potentially complain. I had this situation at another school. But I advised the student the reality, if they dont klnow you cant take affense to certain pronouns. people do not mean harm they are just trying to communicate with you. 

Sexual harassment can take many forms.  It is a relief to know that education for the prevention of sexual harassment is mandatory and that institutions must have a Title IX Coordinator to investigate and protect employees/students. 

this topic is sadly real in our world

Although I have had previous training regarding Title IX and VAWA, this was a good refresher course.

Title IX, VAWA and the Clery Act require that, as online instructors we stay vigilant of sexual harrassment as a primary concern due to the online instruction method that we use to communicate with and amoungst our students. 

We are a Lockstep campus, but because of COVID-19, we have moved to on-line Instruction.  This Title IX and VAWA Training has been valuable, in enhansing what we need to be aware of.  The "on-line" campus experience is tricky.  Things can go on in the back ground, that you have to be careful to watch for (chat rooms, emails, after class tutering Zoom meeting) all lead to a potenial Title IX and VAWA violation.

My Instructors are advised regulaly on classroom proticol, I pop in and out unanounces checking each class. 

I agree this was a very good explanation of title IX and VAWA. This will help to protect students, employees from unwanted sexual anything and violence, make all people feel safe on school campuses.

I have had several of these trainings over the years I have been at Spartan for title IX. These laws are in place to protect all individuals on campus, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Its great to have the reminder year after year. 

It is unfortunate that there is a need for such laws but reality dictates the need to provide all students with a safe learning environment.  It is important to set standards in the classroom on appropriate conduct and model this behavior.  It is important to keep aware of class climate that is not in keeping with Title IX.  

This course was filled with lots of useful infomation. I learned several things that I did not know.

Sign In to comment