Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Harold Ortiz's post: I agree; it applies to national origin and religion as well. I firmly support all instructors being held accountable for any hate speech and harassment in this area. I am glad the Clery act protects against this!

Title IX was enacted to protect students and employees from being discriminated against due to their sex. VAWA, Violence Against Women Act, is a law that requires institutions to offer programs that help prevent dating violence, sexual assault and stalking. These laws pertain to institutions where federal aid is provided. I agree with Harold Ortiz, this is a very detailed and useful explanation as to why Title IX and VAWA exist.

According to the Department of education Title IX and Sex Discrimination was designed to protect people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive federal finacial assistance. It states that:  "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."  The scope is large but important. I would go a step further and make sure we aren't discriminating against anyone unknowingly.  Try to stay unbias as possibly or be aware of inherit biases we possess.

Sign In to comment