Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Focus on all the good things that your campus has to offer the students. Never talk poorly about another college just simply say that you are unsure of the other colleges program and return back to what your college has to offer them.

It is always best to stay positive about Concorde and to refocus the conversation on the attributes of what Concorde can offer this prospective student. Avoid at all costs discussion which compares other programs to Concorde's

By focusing on the advantages of Concorde, students can do their own research to see how the other schools compare.

i personally have an advantage, i have worked at other competetive sites.I am able to offer first hand experience on what the program is like, the program, curriculumk, hours, shifts, accreditaions, and grading scales. Also, i can further provide how our facility fares with everyone else that is, through national tests results and current accreditation.

Absolutely! We can only represent ourselves and only really have full knowledge of what our school's policy and procedures are. It would be impossible to speak for another school or in any accurate way compare ourselves to them so even attempting to is dangerous ground.

be honest to tell the student that since you are not working with the other institution you are not familiar about them, so you are in no position to compare them.

Besides you can't sling mud without gettin' your own hand dirty. If you knock another school, you're knocking Proprietary Education. Always take the high road.

I have honestly never been approached in that area. I would suggest to the student do the their own research, draw their own conclusion and any questions they have about our institution can be answered by me. If I do not know the answer I can direct them to someone who does.

I also believe you need to bring the question back around to the advantages and positives of completing their education at Concorde.

The Representative should feel that our programs are so strong that they should encourage a perspective student to go to other schools and compare and see for themselves

I would suggest viewing the other institutions website or actually going in for an appointment. Gather information on their own in regards to other institution and use it to compare.

This has helped me in regards to answering
that question if it ever arises

This is an interesting question. Sometimes potential students ask me about other institutions and I agree with most of the previous posts, by indicating they would have to follow-up with the other schools to acquire information about their programs, rates, etc. However, I am often asked by students who are being withdrawn for various reasons, mostly due to time and a half, where can they go to take the program since they are no longer eligible to complete the program at Concorde. This was a tough question at first because I knew I couldn't launch into a list of our competitors, besides there are probably more than I am aware of. I encourage those students to search the internet for information or visit Workforce since they have a comprehensive list of school and programs in the area.

That is a great response. Don't know what the other schools offer, but to tell them the good things about Concorde.

Alytrice - you bring up a great point that I hadn't thought of: how to provide good service to students being dropped that are no longer eligible to continue at your institution. I like the suggestion to refer them to a "neutral" source rather than specific schools and will be interested to see others' comments in response to your post.

Typically, I say:

While I cannot speak for other institutions, I can provide information about our school so that you can then review and make the best decision for you in your educational goals.

And then I provide them a current catalog.

Hello Erin,
I have also been asked and I actually LOVE IT when student(s) ask these type of questions # 1 because as a Financial Aid officer I don't always want to just talk Financial Aid language. I can use this as an ice breaking b/s i truly believe this the perfect time to provide the prospective students to an introduction of Concorde Mission and Core Values. I let them know that i really do not know what other schools have to offer but I can go over with them with OUR Mission which is prepares COMMITTED tudents (I'll asked if they are willing to be an committed student)and will start a conversation and i see this as an opportunity to inform students all of the Great thigs that Concorde in today's Health Care Industry have to offer. We HAVE TO SHOW WHO WE ARE. IF they see we are proud employees they will become PROUD students..

I find the most effective response is to discuss what our school offers, inform the student that there are other schools and programs out there, and state that the student should feel comfortable exploring each school to determine for him/herself which is the best fit for them. This reduces any potential of misrepresentation.

Amelphy - I respect your positive attitude and commitment to your institution!

It would be wrong to give prospective students and/or students negative information about another institution. Even though we work at different institutions, we have to all keep in mind about maintaining a level of professionalism. I would inform the student that I am not aware of how the system of other institutions operate but that I am able to provide information as far as how our college operates and what we take pride in.

Sign In to comment