Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Empathy v. Sympathy is something that comes easier to some than others and is always something to be practiced. Empathy leads to more understanding, connection, and rapport with people. It empowers others in a conversation. Gaining perspective and understanding people's differences shows and open mind and leads to better relationships. 

I have learned the importance of my tone over the phone and how it can convey information in a way that may not be taken how I would like to present it and that tone is just as important as body language when you can't see the person face to face. 

Be aware of your own body language when communicating with others. This is crucial since most of the way we communicate is through body language. 

There are 2 clue words: reflect and rephrase.

The main concept that I took away from this course was having the ability to listen and make sure that I hear everything the student is saying. I need to effectively listen because I need to know what program the student is thinking about enrolling. 

So, what I have learned about this topic is being able to 1. listen effectively 2. Respond approaitley 3. Ready Body Language 4. Ask questions 5. Seek common ground.

I learn that you can always rise above your reaction 

I have learned the importance of proper body language.

I've learned how to avoid multitasking and listen attentively when onne's speaking. I also leanred how to have empathy and sympathy. 

I have learned when to use the way of communication and how to use it to get the best out of it.

This module taught me how to listen effectively, respond appropriately, read body language, ask questions to clarify, and seek common ground. 

Body Language communicates so much in our interactions.

Effective communication is the cornerstone of success for us here in Higher Ed. Without it, we lose the buy-in of our prospective students, parents, shareholders, employees and corporate partners. We must collectively learn to master the art of effective communication and better identify distress signals by activating our continuous training to the point of mastery. This is something that I rely on heavily in my professional life as well as my personal life.

Comment on Ricardo Martin's post: What point are you trying to convey here Ricardo? I would like to get a better understanding from you as to why and how effective communication is important for you?

Express, convey, empower, sympathy and empathy

I learned the importance of my body language and how to interpret not only mine but the one of the person am trying to communicate. I will definitively will be more aware of mine.

I've learned to have a good listening skills and focus on the speaker without bias. 

One thing I learned from this module that I found interesting and would like to work on is affirm and acknowledge. I believe I do my best with my students and repeat what they tell me to clarify but I should do more to affirm them and "hear what they're saying"  - a powerful tool when building a relationship. 

I've learned the 5 principles of communication. How I plan on applying the lessons I learned firstly would be avoiding "Why" question, so I do not make the other person feel they need to defend their position. Next, I'll address body language communication I am seeing and ask the right questions to make sure we are on the same page. Lastly make sure that I take the empathetic approach when responding to ensure I keep myself in the position of and advisor and not a friend so I will be able to offer guidance. 

I learned that paying attention to body language and not just the words people use can help you make a deeper understanding and impact with the client. 

Sign In to comment