Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PERMA: A Model for Well-Being | Origin: EC140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introduction to Positive Psychology for Educators --> PERMA: A Model for Well-Being

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Outstanding reflective exercises for Flow, Grattitude, & defining Meaningful Work - for individuals as well as in group or team settings.

I gained a greater appreciation for the value of "Fake it til you make it" by completing purposeful mind-focusing exercises like these in positive thinking.

I agree with this lesson about positive feelings, self esteem, and having a sense of being needed. Those are  great elements for learning.

I think it is important to remember why you got into teacher, for me, to help others.

I learrned how important intrinsic motivation is. How grit helped me to persevere and accomplish my most difficult goals.

Prior to signing up for this course I had been vaguely familiar with the term "positive psychology".  I had been exposed to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's work on Flow but only viewed it as a stand alone concept, not as just a piece to a more comprehensive approach to maximizing a student's potential.  My student population is a little unique - active duty military members.  Being exposed to PERMA has given me some new tools in preparing my population for the challenges they face in transitioning back to civilian life.  It may or may not be widely known that we have lost more service members and veterans of the post 9/11 wars to suicide than to combat operations over the same time period.  We have a lot of work to do to change that trajectory...utilizing the PERMA model is a good start.

I like this exercise:

For teams or classrooms

At the end of a meeting or a class, ask the group to reflect on the three most positive things from the session. Discuss how and why they happened, honoring the diversity of the members, and how you can cultivate more positivity for everyone in the future.

What I've taken from this topic is that it is important to be persistent, skillful, and gritty in order to keep a steady flow of work/emotions. The 3 Good Things Exercise is probably my favorite because you can apply it to almost anything and recieve great feedback from it.

I like the reflection on 3 good things. Not only can this help you counteract negativity it can help you look at better outcomes and ways of dealing with one negative situation. 

The power of positive thinking and setting goals- especially written and looked at every day is well documented in other resources. 
This course reinforces these concepts! I love it and will work hard to incorporate positive vibes and setting goals in my school setting.

The psychology of being is an interesting assessment of needs.  To deny any one aspect of the full circle would result in an overall lack of success in becoming fully developed as a human and as an influencer for learners.  Positivity has to also acknowledge negativity.  The circle needs to be fulfilled.

The importance of feeling that what we do matters. Connectivity to our career and self has to be cultivated daily.

The importance of reflecting at the end of the class the lecture and how everyone understood, felt, etc. 

Reflecting and taking care of yourself, and then showing others how to do the same.

So many awesome examples of the power of gratitude and positivity.

A person's emotional status is very important to maintain academic and emotional wellbeing. 

I'm going to keep focused on my goals and the relations to achieve these goals while taking note of what I have accomplished. Yet while these are goals set for the upcoming, I still need to figure out how to do deal will the present bad news or existing problems. How you you deal with present suffering or problems?

The importance of reflection was really impactful for me. I do a lot of reflection-based assessments in my classes with students but I rarely take the time, myself, to reflect in a meaningful way. I know adding more reflection time will help me be a better educator. 

The PERMA module was fun to learn. I enjoyed how to build goals and cultivate how to continue honing those goals. 

Sign In to comment