Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Positive Education, Positive Impact | Origin: EC140

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Introduction to Positive Psychology for Educators --> Positive Education, Positive Impact

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I like the daily reflection exercise. We "find" what we look for, so a clear focus of positive things to look for daily is a win-win.

I wonder if there is any positive application of "old-school" thinking like 'knuckle down and try,' or 'suck it up, buttercup' that might also motivate learners to develop their own "Grit" or a "Growth Mindset." We know that part of teaching is to expand participants to explore tasks or even philosopies outside their comfort zone. I'm NOT talking about public shaming or anything like that, but will be looking in future lessons how to encourage even the extremely wary learners to try. Will be gratefule for good examples of how that might look.

We deal with character education and virtues where I teach. I believe that the spotting exercise is great to assist with feedback to students when we see these things demonstrated throughout the cirriculum and school life. They are also effective at home as well in our kids. 

Today through news and social media, we are inundated with negativism. However, applying the PERMA philosophy each day shines a light through the darkness. 

I loved the daily check in and going through the PERMA to illicit a connection to my wellbeing, and I think could easily be incorporated into a end of the day classroom activity .

I learned that applying the principles of PERMA-H to yourself and students will benefit everyone. Incoporting the relaxation techniques can be beneficial in lowering stress levels of students.

It is important to have a positive attitude with your students, it will be beneficial for both of you.

I have learned about strength spotting in students and how to encourage the student's strengths, thank them for exhibiting those strengths, and encouraging them to apply those strengths!

to focus, not only on a student's academic performance in my feedback or review, but also on demonstrations of kindness, leadership, mentoring that I may have witnessed in the classroom

I have been studying and applying positive psychology in my classes for the past 10 years and I have seen the powerful impact

It is important to keep a positive attitude at all times because students will put out that same energy into their work ethic and will benefit them to do better and be successful.

I enjoyed learning the different ways to utilize PERMA. 

I like the idea of infusing this into online learning -- we think that just because students are not in front of us all the time, that they do not need the same sort of positive motivation. 

Well being impacts students overall experience!

I have always tried to use positive feedback in my teaching methods and in my family.

I can use my Positive physiology training in class.

Comment on Verna Pitts's post: Absolutely!

Positive re-enforcement is so powerful! 

The PERMA self assessment piece of asking oneself the those 5 questions daily as a way of monitoring the sense of wellness was very meaningful to me.

The PERMA assessment helps the instructor encourage and support students by identifying strengths.

Positive psychology is a way to not only enhance your own well-being, but also help students and staff in your school.

Sign In to comment