Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Global/Multicultural Fluency | Origin: EC116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Career Readiness Into Your Courses: Part II --> Global/Multicultural Fluency 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Learn to learn from everyone. 

I need to be culturally aware of my students.

I have learned that diveristy may go beyond ethnicity and include those with different abilities, or disabilities.

Diverse backgrounds builds and enables the synergy of a group or team.  Understanding the people around you makes you more intuned to the needs and wants you can naviagte to produce productive outcomes.  

Multicultural Environments create more diversity in the workplace to allow for different ideas and perspective to become part of culture and growth of a company. Best solutions will be made by a team when problems are looked at from an open mindset.

Multicultural fluency is something I am challenged by at the moment. I have an individual in my program that cannot read, write or speak english. I do not have the resources available to me to properly train the individual. Safety is the overall concern.

I learned to be aware of the diffence in cultures that my students may be coming from and be better at understanding these differences

This is a great topic and I practice this everyday.

Cultural diversity is an asset to any classroom or workplace. People with various backgrounds bring new perspectives, and as both students and teachers we need to be willing to learn from one another. 

being unaware of/insensitive to sociocultural differentiation within your student population is an excellent way to reach very few kiddos. 

A strong intent to appreciate another has value that breeds stronger relationships and encourages a healthy end result for everyone.

Being aware of diversity within cultures is important. 

I often talk to my students about "reading the room" to equally match someone's personality. I'd like to further this discussion in the future to include discussing our cultural backgrounds and how it can affect the way in which we communicate and engage our clients.

Being aware of the privilege that you bring to the classroom can help you see your students as they are and learn from all the different backgrounds and cultures your students have. Cultural diversity should be celebrated and viewed as a huge strength/asset in every classroom. 

Students need the necessary skills to enter the real world. They should have respect and understanding of other places around the world and other cultures and backgrounds. By helping students understand what culturally sensitive is can better prepare them for their future and working with others different than themselves. 

Teaching students to appreciate and be exposed to different cultural backgrounds and experiences will help them in the corporate world and in their futures. 

Students need to acknowledge we do not live in a monocultural world and the job and employment landscape will reflect this. 

Sign In to comment