Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leadership | Origin: EC116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Career Readiness Into Your Courses: Part II --> Leadership

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

So far I have learned about the importance of teaching leadership skills to students from the get-go, and not to delay this important aspect of career readiness.  I intend to apply it by changing how I set-up the group projects in my classes. 

Teacher leadership in all my CTE classes and allow students to fail so they can learn.

The value of joining professional organizations is useful to a student in building those professional connections early on. 

The work force needs leadership and important to emphasize to Students that their leadership no mattater their role in the workplace will help them professionally. Consitantly knowing where an organization is going, how they plan to get there, and what part do you play is a good start to becomming an effective leader.

I have confirmed my existintg view of leadership, which is that it involves empowering others to achieve a common goal. Leadership is about "we," not "mew."

Good leadership involves allowing students to become aware of their strengths and weaknesses.  As students grow personally, professionally, and academically leadership traits, skills and ability will become known.  By observing, accessing and coaching an instructor or facilitator can guide the leadership growth process.

The importance of learning from failure!

As a leader, I must encourage curiosity and the constant interest to learn and grow. I am aware that I do not have all the answers but it is important to be honest in that fact. It is necesary to show that I am willing to admit that I do not have the answer but my priotity is to find the answers.

It is important to provide opportunities for students to take turns being leaders. In order for them to grow in their own leadership abilties, they need to be able to practice, as this is one skill that is better to be learned through practice than through rote knowledge or lecture. Creating group activities or requiring students to lead sections of the material can be very beneficial.

There is tremendous value in teaching leadership skills, even when teaching those who do not currently anticipate wanting to lead in the future. 

To include teaching leadership. 

Developing leadership skills is an essential part of developing the student to survive and thrive in the business and career world.

A good leader will encourage students to develop good communication skills and problem-solving skills. Good leadership is very important in career development. 

I really learned the importance in leadership skills for our students. I'd like to start working with more employers in our field to get feedback as to what they are looking for. I'll also be looking further into the leadership associations referenced.

Leadership skills are important and we are always growing. 

Had no idea there were organizations existing solely for the purpose of fostering leadership.  Always wanted to have a mentor...

I think the power of learning from failure is super important to emphasize. It is hard to feel failure, but the learning and growth from it can be so powerful for everyone. 

Learning from mistakes, will help you be relatable to most people who are afraid to try because they do not want to fail. but as they know someone who has failed and now is successful, will bring them comfort.

I have learned that employability skills are crucial skills for success in the workplace. I can apply this learning when it comes to working with students and helping them understand what goals are and how to go about setting them. I can also help others learn more about time management and prioritize the most important tasks. 

Sign In to comment