Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teamwork/Collaboration | Origin: EC115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Career Readiness into Your Courses: Part I ->Teamwork/Collaboration  

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Working in small team groups helps students learn how to effectively work together. It also helps students to use their strengths to guide the project to its completeion. 

Clearly defining the role of each team member will greatly benefit the cohesion of the team.

Teams should establish clear roles, maintain open communication, reach consensus for completing tasks, recognize and respect all contributions, address issues, apologize if a mistake is made.

Working in small groups can help build a positive working environment when effective communication is being done

I will help the students engage in group activitys to enhance developement their collaborative skills in working side by side at sports massage events.

Team Development Stages are interesting reflecting on past Team Participation and the different stages.

• Forming - the beginning stages sets roles for members
  • Storming - works out the details for likes and differences among the group.
  • Norming - implements the project and start to perform as a group.
  • Performing - Temwork is performing work at a successful level.
  • Adjourning - Work is complete and accompliments are known to group.

Teams can accomplish more than one can as an individual.

Navigating the group power structures is critical in developing a productive team. I find that having good ground rules that are agreed by the members helps facilitate professional interactions

Including assignments or activities that prompt teamwork and collaboration in the classroom is a fundamental approach. If students do not learn early on to work effectively with other individuals, this will hamper their ability to carryover that very essential skill to any other aspect of life (work, personal). The ability to not only receive but also to provide constructive feedback is a step that is often overlooked. 

The ability to work with others, share ideas, compromise as needed and be receptive to giving and receiving feedback is essential for a productive work and social life. 

When teams get together there are stages they go through; forming storming norming preforming and adjourning.  It is normal to have a few bumps in the journey, however a facilitator should always maintain control for productive output.  As a team the individuals and the organization can achieve more.

Working together as a team, allow employees the ability to learn and learn to live with each other’s likes, dislikes, strengths, and weaknesses. When they work together for a long time, the team naturally becomes more collaborative and cohesive.  

Reply to Jeri Henley's post:Great post... It brings to mind 2 tidbits of onformation... First, "Teamworrk makes the dream work" & There is no I in team."

Team work can lead to a high productive work environment.

Teamwork in class offers collaboration and productivity in a group.

What I learned is how to really pay attention to the group and learn how to make correction properly without pointing the finger

Team work is the dreamwork

Teaching students to build effective teams is an important skill that they will use through out their lives. I think we assume that students have already learned to work in teams so creating norms is important.

“The ability to communicate well is the most sought-after skill in a new hire.” Although this is not a surprise for me, it was refreshing to know that helping to build strong relationships with teamwork and communication is still just as important as trade related skills. 

This skill will be so beneficial due to the trad that I teach has a lot of group requirements to complete projects and often you will be parted with a member of the team that is not a big contributor. I'm excited to start making mockup teams and help my students learn to navigate this dynamic.  

Teamwork is a hugely important skill in the workforce, and particularly aviation, which is what my students are being trained to work in. Proper communication and understanding between individual members are the building blocks of a good team. 

This course reinforced my belief that group projects are quite effective in individual learning and teamwork skills.

Sign In to comment