Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Thinking/Problem Solving | Origin: EC115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Integrating Career Readiness into Your Courses: Part I -->Critical Thinking/Problem Solving

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

So far in this course, I have learned how important critical thinking/ soft skills are in the workplace. Students need to understand that being able to identify the problem and think through is a key part of being hireable. 

It appears that employers value soft skills and critical thinking skills above some content skills.  Content skills can be refined by hands-on

work, either on the classroom or on the job.  Critical thinking and problem solving skills can also be refined on the job, but should probably have a foundation to build on first. 

Students lack soft skills, especially in critical thinking.  Critical thinking and soft skills are what employers are looking for.  

I feel it will be benifical as to the studssent to buid strategies that will help them in life,also benefit them in problem solving either solo or in a team.

I learned that critical thinking skills should be expanded in the classroom so that the student is career ready once they are in the work force. 

i WILL BVE PREPARING A CRITICAL THINKING EXERCISE FOR THE sPORTS MASSAGE STUDENTS TO PRACTICE ASSESSMENT AND APPLICATION OF A PHYSICAL PROBLEM IE pOOR RANGE OF MOTION AND MUSCLE PAIN WITH NO DISLOCATION OF THE JOINT CAPSULE1 CLIENT CAN PERFORM A FULL RANGE OF CIRCUMDUCTION BUT EXPERIENCES PAIN.

i WILL HELP THEM WITH APPLING SPECIFIC ASSESSMENT SKILLS AND THE APPLICATION OF Massage set skills.

First i will review the structure , introduce techniques and then have them make the decisions to help the client

Well im thankful that i have been doing classroom activities and assignments over the years that are stimulating the students to be critical thinkers. Im preparing class lectures for the students to be more efficient at assessment skills. Teaching them how to write soap notes and think quickly about a plan for the treatment of Sport Injuries.HAving them create their own sign up sheets and discovering business marketing tools.

I learned some strategies for implementing critical thinking exercises in the classroom. I like the silent poster idea for my quiet introverted students to get their ideas out. 

I am a new instructor the critical thinking brought great ideas that I can bring to my classroom. The silent poster idea I like the least, it really depends on the age groups. The teenager and adult learning group may pose a challenge in a cell phone world, not to mention that this group is easliy bored and continually need attention engagement activities. I open ended questions, brainstorming, and group work seems to work best for my twenty something year old students.

I have always told my students that Hard Skills could get them a job, but they would need Soft Skills to keep it.   The difficult part is teaching them the soft skills (Employability).  I think this course has given some great tools to help with that, especially from the standpoint of Critical Thinking

Critical Thnking and Problem Solving come from experience. Interactive instruction to build skills requires activities to make students process through Six Steps known as "Ideals" 

1. Identify
  2. Define
  3. Enumerate
  4. Analyze
  5. List
  6. Self Correct

Planning Lessons using interactive activities that use the "Ideals" process help students gain experience in Critical Thinking and Problem Solving. The last step Self Correct is the most important to reflect on the full porcess.

Although we are currently using an updated version of Bloom's taxonomy which using the different language remember, understand, apply, analyze, evaluate, create the original Bloom's remains essentially valid.

To this point I found the specific teaching example of K-W-L charts and Silence Poster Conversation to be intriguing methods of teaching. My students never are quiet when working together. If the talk was all assignment centered I would welcome it but too many times talk dissolves into "chat".

Instructors must realize critical thinking is a multi-step process requiring the foundation of the 6 teps to problem solving framework to help students with all learning styles. 

Critical Thnking and Problem Solving come from experience. Planning Lessons using interactive activities to help students gain experience in Critical Thinking and Problem Solving. The last step Self Correct is the most important to reflect on the full porcess.

What I have learned from this module is that I have been implementing some of the ideas presented here, and that it would be useful to build on that foundation with additional tools that have been cited here.

As a vocational instructor I have to find challenging questions that are not memorization but contain open ended answers and sinerios

Critical thinking and communication are two very important skills for my students to develp oin the classroom. They will help them develop and also be a great things for them to have in the workforce.

Critical thinking is an important componenet that needs to be included in classroom assignments, discussions and projects. The more the students practice the skills the more efficient they will become with utilizing critical thinking skills and problem solving. 

Critical thinking is a essential skill that all people need to be successful and make good decisions in the workplace and the real world. Alot of the skills mentioned are used in the classroom already but making the connection to employability skills was my "Ah-ha" moment. 

Sign In to comment