Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a CTAE teacher we must be challening students to think high level question, just as other content areas would. 

A challenging student can disrupt a class. Taking the student aside and have a discussion. There may be issues the teacher is unaware of,

and can provide some direction for the student. 

I really liked viewing the PBIS website. I've never heard of that particular website and I enjoyed looking through it for a few minutes during the course. I have the website bookmarked and plan on returning for a deeper dive into its contents. Thanks for the link!!!

Build relationships, be PBIS active and be aware of student trauma.

PBIS and Trauma-Informed Practices can help CTE Teachers build positive student relationships, and help eliminate behavior concerns before they arise.

Positive classroom management is very important to feeling confident as a teacher.  We have to remember that many students come to our classes with multiple issues and learning is not always their top priority.  We need to be understanding and encourage a respectful environment where student want to behave well.  It is also important to encourage positive behaviors.

Students come into our classrooms with a world of situations and issues that many of us have no idea they have faced. The world is bigger than ever and more diverse and more difficult to navigate than ever before. As a teacher, we must be keenly alert and responsive to what might be happening.

I use PBIS daily and the students love it. And, it is an opportunity to show that I am engaged with them and appriciate their efforts.

In terms of creating an environment that engages students in the learning process, some of the most important approaches that I take the ones that like the students know I care, that I respect their time therefore I keep up with grading, correspondence with them and their parents/guardians, and provide as many resources as possible to help him with the assignments. I listen to their stories and assist in ways that are professional and appropriate.

Engaging students in the learning process has been the most challenging aspect and teaching both virtual and remote. I am often jumping between different learning styles, different computer platforms, different software platforms, and because I teach graphic design and it is a visual – there are other challenges. Some of the modules that we went through extremely helpful organizing and grouping contact and students in a way that engages them. I was also struck by how important my soft skills are. Sometimes we can forget these things because it comes natural.

Creating an environment of trust and respect is paramount wonderful and bringing them to the forefront. My being on time and creating environment of professionalism helps to teach the students to do so as well. My time with grading along and providing extensive resources for the students so that all learning styles have a way in which to digest the classroom learning is another way that I show how I honor the diversity among styles. This Covid environment is difficult and teaching both virtual and in class has challenged me.

I have had many resources available since day one. Looking back to that first year I do wish that I would have utilized the resources more than just trying to make it day by day. 

Student suverys are extremly helpful in collecting information about students' interests and goals. Creating a positive learning environment and knowing your students is a way to avoid and/or manage behavior and academic challenges students might face. 

I've learned quite a bit! I'm happy that the methods I've been using in my classroom align with modern CTE techniques, and I really like the idea of creating a weekly soft skills assignment. I think CTE students particularly can benefit from it, since they're so vital to a thriving professional career.

Our students can often be experiencing challenges beyond the scope we may imagine, it is important to have a variety of tools in our toolbox when responding to challenging behavior.

working in a incarcerated setting provides first hand knowledge into some of the most challenging personal issues that affect the outcome in class.

Great module explaing why it is so important to know your students. Many students are effected by many trauma's in life that effect thier learning and working abilities. There was some great sites that I have bookmarked to use in my teaching career.

Building relationships can generate positive results. Sometimes there are other underlining issues to a studens sudden outburst/change. 

I really appreciate the concrete guidance on addressing unwanted behaviors- teachers can't take student disruptions personally and it can be really hard to learn this in the beginning. Getting to the root cause of the unwanted behavior is a crucial first step to resolving conflicts with students. Pulling a student aside to discretely check in and find out what's going on can be an easy way to interrupt problematic behaviors. Often the answer is simple- the student is having a bad day or is hungry and the teacher can offer a quick solution (take a quick break, have a granola bar), but if the problem is deeper and requires further intervention, then the teacher has the opportunity to seek out more help for the students. This type of response helps to eliminate unnecessary punitive discipline (which often does more harm to students than good).

I really appreciated the video on Trauma-Informed Schools. This is the first time I've heard of this initiative. I have spoken with students who are experiencing trauma in their private lives and consequently struggle in class. It's hard for students to think about learning pathophysiology when they don't know if they'll eat tomorrow, or where they're sleeping tonight or if the abusive boyfriend is going to be there after class. Learning about the resources & support services offered at my school has been HUGE in helping me to steer these students towards those offices & organizations that can help them meet their needs so their minds are free to learn. 

Sign In to comment