Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that building a relationship with your students with respect is a must. I believe that it will build their confidence and they will give you respect in return. 

As a instructor in Prison, I deal with a multitude of students that have self-esteem issues, mental disorders, has experienced trauma, or yet been the cause of some sort of trauma. They often have a bad history with schools, educators, authority and therefore fickle about attending classes. The content in this module is a daily effort for me.  To build trust, healthy professional relationships, create a safe educational setting, etc.  I will explore the PBIS website more.

One of the most effective ways I have been able to teach is by making a connection with the learner. I refer to this as getting to know those you teach. Student need authentic teachers and teachers need to know the authentic student to best meet the student's learning needs.

Learning that relationship building is key as well as finding the site PBIS for additional strategies for addressing behaviors.

I learned about trauma informed schools, appropriate actions to take. Web sights for information on disciplinary issues and things to do to correct.

Students bring so much to the table every day.  Not all of it is positive, but it all impacts their ability to learn and my ability to teach them and all the students in my classroom.  Classroom management is one area that I hope to gain additional learning opportunities for myself.

Most of our students are low income- with that it means struggles in their daily lives being able to connect with them and finding a motivation that works is best! I also like how this generation likes to watch videos while learning! Technology wasnt huge while I was growing up so its fun to work together! 

I have learned that the way I view my job or the trades isn't  how my students will view it. What is the right way? Maybe neither. 
The approach to tell the student to get back to work with little intervention would be something that I would have done the first time I caught him, but now i can see how that could create more problems with other students. It could quickly become the perception of favoritism  "You let them nap on the job so how come I can't"

RESPECT goes a long way! We need to establish a community in the classroom, making sure that everyone feels valued and heard is just as important for the teacher as it is for the student.  I've really appreciated the links to resources throughout the course.  There is so much to learn about teaching and learning. 

It is important to understand the attributes of each generation when trying to adapt curriculum in the best ways to how kids learn nowadays. 

I've done a lot of research into Trauma Informed Care and PBIS. I think these are healthy approaches to take with our students. Above all else, value the relationships with students.

Make sure that you understand motviatation behind challenging behaviors and address appropriately.

Understanding that students have experienced trauma and the behavior may not be defiant take the time to know the student and what their needs are and the behavior you may find is not meant to be disruptive or disrespectful.

I enjoyed the discussion on trauma-informed schools. There are times when teachers can be solely focused on the behavior rather than what may be causing it.

We teach trauma informed care as part of the CNA course.  It is interesting to apply that concept to the classroom considering the potential traumas that the students have experienced.  

I wasn't aware that there have been steps made to address systemic approaches to trauma in practice, & I very much appreciate those efforts & the impetus behind them. 

The trauma-informed school part was very good. In my situation, 78% of offenders have 5+ adverse childhood experiences that obviously can affect how they behave in a school situation.

Everything is intertwined. Positive relationships with students, defined expectations of students and teachers, and mutual respect enable or encourage the other behaviors.

Looking at the differences between generations is interesting and helpful when approaching how to teach those from a different one.

Having information and suggestions for working with challenging students through the PBIS website provides a great resource.

Sign In to comment