Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professionalism is huge when becoming a teacher, it is just like taking oath to having great integrity as a teacher. I must do my best to maintain professionalism in emails and think thouroughly when I post something on social media. 

As a former high school teacher, I took great pains to establish a professional/healthy teacher/student relationship. After 13 yrs in the private sector, it seems I forgot everything. 

It is important to be a leader and not a friend.

Maintaining a professional atmosphere in the classroom is key. You must gain that level of respect and ensure you are keeping your "home" life private from the students. Making sure you keep your online presense as closed down to students as possible is important. 

I think that is imporatnt to show the love and passion that we have for our career and let it show in our teaching in the CTAE classes.

I think that being careful with social media accounts is incredibly important, especially with the constant access to it, particularly with students. A lot of it is common sense, but it never hurts to hear it again. Something I really liked from the first part of the module was during the video the ROTC instructor said "you get up and you want to come to work," and I wholeheartedly agree.

Just knowing the difference between Professional and Personal social media changes pretty frequently. Not so much change, I guess, but knowing what is appropriate and acceptable to your district or employer. The water can get muddy quick if you are not careful and protect yourself and always think before posting. 

This module reminds us of the boundaries, what professionalism looks like and the different elements and terminology non-traditional teachers need to learn.

Maintaining Professional Boundaries can be difficult for CTE Teachers because of the nature of their work and experience. Learning from fellow Teachers what they do in their own work can help CTE Teachers develop and implement a plan that is unique to them, but still ensures that they protect themselves and their students. 

Teachers are role models for their students.  CTE teachers can make a big impact in student's lives with the life skills that we can provide for both their personal and professional lives.  We need to be careful in our interactions and communicating and we need to maintain positive interactions.

I find interesting the level of disconnection between idea of being a teacher and its reality. It's fascinating the "level of being a professional" that is expected by these types of descriptions of teaching, and especially the behaviors targeted. Somehow the 'being a role model' piece is aligned with Mother Theresa, the expectation is couched in the yes, you can be fired for minimal missteps, and we shall pay you as if you are also said saint... (honestly, you get paid in heaven points...). In practice, the actuality is that your survival in education relies on your being in positions of power and working through political minefields that are specific to the profession and system in which its embedded. Anyone can be let go at any time, even while doing the right things. It's a jungle out here.

As a teacher, you cannot try to be every student's best friend. In fact, they may not like you and that's ok. As long as you maintain professionalism and teach material and create a learning environment that is engaging and formative. 

There have to be boundaries between the instructor's personal and professional life. As a CTE instructor, we also need to model professionalism and how to act in the industry. 

It is extremely important to be professional with all your students while building strong student-teacher relationships. CTE teachers have a great responsibility to model professional world from their experiences, which is extremely valuable for our students. 

Professionalism in the classroom is paramount.  Maintaining the position of authority lends to student success.

Social media is really a double edged sword, can be used to promote our programs, but also opens us up to scrutiny.  

The module reinforced the importance of living a life of integrity - and how that may be defined differently by individuals. I also love the concept of boundaries in the classroom as a positive, healthy management system. 

I LOVED having access to the Acronym Dictionaries!! So helpful! 

Being very new to teaching, being the students best friend jumped out at me. I have work in teams my whole life and now being the educator is a whole new world to me. I really need to undrstand that I am the educator and not your best friend.

The fine line of using todays technology as a tool to support students professional asperations should never be confused with personal asperations. Bring professionalism to class every day shows consistency of ethic. 

Sign In to comment