Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It was a good reminder about social media and being professional but I really liked the comment " teaching is not about what you know but what the teacher enables others to do".  I like the fact that it gives you and the student opportunities for a wide range of resources and it is ok to put some of it on the student. 

This module hits the professionalism needed in the classroom and beyond. Keep the students as learners and me as a teacher.

Understanding your role as a teacher goes beyond being a teacher. You are a role model rather you know it or not. I learned that my actions as a teacher can have an impact on students directly or indirectly and setting boundaries and a standard for myself will be a great benefit to my career and to our students. 

What resonated most for me was the quote about the teacher setting the tone and establishing the climate of the class and the tremendous responsibiity that comes in a career in which students' futures are at stake. I am all about creating a student-centered classroom, but the reality is that the teacher really is at the center in the design and implementation of the learning experiences, and therefore they must be have a clear vision about what it means to create a positive, nurturing, and dynamic classroom environment in which students feel respect and belonging. It is a tremendous responsibility, and it is far more important that the content of whatever course a teacher is teaching. 

I have always know that what I post can be visible by anyone at anytime. I am very conscious of what I share and never stray from being professional.

Reinforced what I already know about social media being very public.  Also, setting firm and clear boundries.  At my previous job before teaching I had to be available 24/7.  So, I really didn't have any boundries.  It's hard for me not to answer student emails on the weekend or in the evening.  But, I don't.

I think this section stresses the fact that boundries between students and teachers need to be set.

Maintaing a professional teacher student relationship throught the day.  I have had to remind myself and think critically about how to progress as a role model in CTE while on my feet.  This has taken considerable practice.

My first year I learned about boundries and parents.  It's always best to have professioanl boundries in place for that moment when you need to confront kids or disipline kids.   

This portion of the course was a great reminder of those professional boundaries that we need to maintain as educators.  We must be careful not to place ourselves in situations in which it appears that favoritism is being given to one student over another.  In addition, our behavior can lead to allegations of violations if we are not careful.

Recognizing that I am coming from a professional career in business, but I'm essentially starting over in a new career as a CTE teacher is comforting. I'm excited for the opportunity to teach in the public schools, but switching over from a peer experience to a teacher/student relationship was creating some anxiety with the start of the school year right around the corner. We're all new at something, and knowing this makes me feel more comfortable with my learning process as a new teacher.

I learned that it is particularly important to set clear guidelines that dictate the relationship I have with my students and the parents of my students. Coming from a small town and school, I know most parents of my students on a personal basis. Many times I have known the parents since before any of us had kids. Now the relationship has to change when I am teaching their kids. Sometimes it is better, sometimes you almost need to stop being friends in order to maintain the proper amount of professional relationship in school. 

It is amazing to me that individuals need to be reminded that there should be seperation between personal and professional life.  I find it very important that adults be the role models of correct behavior and actions.  Students learn more by observing our actions verses the words that we share.

The break down of the terms and acronyms (there are so many.. haha)  is really helpful as a new teacher. As my first year as a new teacher I found out just how important it is to set your boundaries up front and how that you are not a peer or close friend to the student. You are there to teach. Not to be a new buddy. I also find that the clothing I wear does make a difference in the level of respect you gain from the students. If you walk in wearing a silly t shirt don't expect to get a very serious class.  As the social media goes, I almost just completely stay off of it and only grant access to my personal accounts to close friends and family but never students. And I never give my personal number out. Email is the way my students can communicate with me.

Professionalism is all aspects of your job performance is essential.  Offering professionalism as a standard mode of conduct will likely result in the best of all possible outcomes as a teacher. 

You have to be able to separate personal from professional life.

Making sure to remain professional in all situations. Technology can be a really great thing or it can bite you in the butt. Setting boundaries and only allowing parents and students to contact you in certain times. Allowing yourself to have personal time is a bit thing. 

I have learned in this segment how to carry myself to a higher standard, develop clear and establishex boundaries between personal and public school life. The boundaries set with social media as they are students not friends or peers. as an educator I must guide them and carry myself to a higher standard.

The big takeaway from this section is that CTE teachers (having likely come from professional backgrounds) have a responsibility to increase their level of professionalism to include appropriate relationship building and mentorship. This section also discusses necessary boundaries that must be drawn to protect both students and teachers.

It occurred to me I may treat some students as peers- I need to try to avoid this and maintain professionalism.

Sign In to comment