Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This a great reminder to keep school and private life separate and check oneself when posting. 

It is important to remember the role one is in.  A professional one in which the student will model after.

One of the most important things I have learned as an educator are positive boundaries.  Setting positive boundaries like office hours, school appropriate contact methods, and grading policies are game changers. 

Running a CTSO makes boundaries even more important.  My favorite communication tool is Remind 101.   

There are 5 pages of acronyms in teaching, much like nursing, there is a lot to learn. Teachers are role models in the community and we have to live the way we want our students to know us. Private is not so private with the impact of social media. 

I want to be the best role model for my students.  As a younger female teacher, this includes how I present myself both inside and outside the classroom. 

This module is an excellent reminder of our role model position and the good examples we must set with boundaries and professional conduct online. It's a great reminder that we are held to a very high standard, must always set an example for our students, and constantly represent our school professionally.

The importance of remaining professional in the classroom is directly proportional to the respect students have for you.

Being a role model and how your mood sets the tone for the class room. Keeping personal life separate from professional life.

It's a good reminder to always use common sense.

How truly important it is to remain professional.  A lot of times we relate to our students, in my case because they are also adults and in the same field as me, but how I need to remember that they are not my friends.  How we present ourselves speaks volumes to how they will represent themselves in the field. 

The video is a great reminder that you have to be professional, always. Also, keep your work life and personal life separate. 

As a CTE instructor in a prison setting; boundaries, rules, professionalism, etc. are already set are emphasized by me on a regular basis.  While I live principles on a daily basis, I have more of a challenge to teach these things and why they are important to my students.

I set the tone for class, it all reflects back to my mood, my motivation, and my excitement in the lesson. If I don't show interest then neither will my students. 

Students need authentic interaction, but at the same time they need a leader that isn't afraid to take charge and teach. My most valued take away is the expectation and really, the need to set boundaries. Working with people, and especially young people is stressful and demanding. The students need us ready the teach and guide learning. Boundaries help us do that.

I learned that professionalism as a CTE instructor is considerably different than what is considered professional in my previous job as a I/E Technician. The image and reputation of CTE, your program, and your Institution can be tarnished in one night of you letting your guard down and having a bad encounter with a student, parent, or the public in general. As you develop your program into state renowned program, which should be everyone’s goal, the number of people that “know” you will increase to the point where no matter where you go you will be judged on your actions in public. Even on social media where a simple grammatical error can get criticism because you are considered an educator, so you must never make spelling mistakes again. We all know that most of us came from professions where we weren’t judged on our writing skill or the occasional night of letting our hair down. Now we are picked over with a fine tooth comb every time we write something go somewhere or post something. It will be a transition for sure. Maintaining a “professional” relationship in education is also glaringly different than what it looks like in a shop full of Mechanics at a manufacturing facility. You really have to change the way you have operated for years. At the very least you have to be conscious that how you did things in your previous career are different than what is ok now.   

Healthy rules and boundaries can create good relationships with students which, in turn, helps them succeed in the classroom.

I learned strategy examples to becoming a better CTE teacher, being a role model, and effects that social media can have for teachers.   

At 48 years old just entering the CTE field I was overwhelmed and intimidated by all the new language and technology I was hearing and being introduced to at school. I was very relieved to learn that almost all CTE teachers experience the same feeling.

The importance of CTE teachers and boundaries are important.

Most of the stuff covered in this part of the module was/is known to me. It's always good to review professional boundaries and how important they are, though. Often, because of how accessible we are with technology and social media, many people forget that I'm not available 24/7 and that that is acceptable. It's important to have boundaries. Good fences make good neighbors.

Sign In to comment