Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an educator, it is extremely important to separate personal from professional life.  I have been a practicing nurse for for 36 years, so this concept is definitely not new.  I am appreciative of the terms and abbreviations section because there are so many that I am unfamiliar with.  It helps to realize where your students are when I use medical terminology.  I have to realize that those terms are equally unfamiliar to them even though I have been using them for 36 years.

Respecting the personal life of yourself, peers and students is a must in the teaching world. Professionalism is lost with some teachers but it is a needed boundary within teaching no matter the age. 

I appreciated being reminded that we have to set boundaries.  At times I have felt like I need to relate to students on a more personal level and may share stories to prove a point.  However, this module is making me think twice about what I share and how that could have the opposite effect.  

Always keep personal life separate from professional life. Setting boundaries, and keeping morals.

I can see how thr transition from industry to the classroom would he challenging for someone. What is appropriate and inappropriate in a classroom setting working with minors is vastly different than most careers/industries.

Keep it professional.

CTE educators are a special group who typically come from a less traditional teaching background. 

I have been teaching for 15 years and am now exploring CTE certification.  The students are not your friends.  First year teachers who buddy up with the students to be liked usually have classroom management issues.  Keep a professional distance.  You can build relationships by finding out likes and interests, but don't try to be a friend.

The professional element of having boundaries and not treating students as peers was a great reminder for establishing clear boundaries with students to set the tone and expectations of behaviors from not only the students but the instructors as well.

One of the most important things I've learned is how essential boundaries are for the learning environment in the class and how effective boundaries can be while being a role model to students.

Reinforced what not to post or share on social media.

Remembering that you always have an audience is a key takeaway-- much like parenting, what we do can be much more impactful than what we say. 

The social media part really confirmed what I already do. I do not enter my place of employment or job in my profile so it's less likely anything I post can be taken as an "official stance" of my employer.  

Sign In to comment