Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Informal and formal orientations are usually the best way to get a new hire familiar with the institutions. 

A job offer should be after the interviewing process has eliminated the lesser qualified candidates and a decision has been made. The orientation should be a time of introduction to other department and faculty members and to allow the new employee to get a feel for his/her new environment.

I am glad to see there is process for best practices. 

Great insight to how a first day should be conducted. Unfortunately, many organizations dont spend enough time training staff and giving clear expectations. 

A new instructor should not be simply thrown into the classroom with a copy of the textbook and a slide deck. They should receive a well-planned onboarding that begins on their first day of employment. The onboarding should not be overwhelming. Be able to judge when the new instructor has had enough and save the rest for tomorrow. 

Something new I picked up is while offering the position to an applicant, it is sometimes most effective to offer it in person due to the commitment the applicant took to coming to discuss the offering. 

The orientation will also be a determining factor if the new hire will last as an instructor in our school.

we have had so many procedures around orientation come and go and never get used. we really need a formal policy. 

Comment on Bobbet Mullings's post: I agree this is a great way to build rapport with the new hire and an opportunity to answer questions or provide additional insight in a one-to-one setting.

Sign In to comment