Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Priscilla, Using this course material to partake in future conflict resolution is exactly what I indend to do in the near future. Several approaches came up that might work better. Good Idea.

Xiomara,
The way we deal with confrontations is the ability to recognize the diversity of people we deal with in our place of work. Knowing knowing how to approach people may be different and it takes our ability to analyze each of these situations. You will learn to address each of the situations by using the techniques that best fit the instances.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Xiomara,
I like your approach to keep it at the level it started. But it is important to be cognizant of the situation. Listening is 87% of our communication with anyone. Good listening helps us to address the situation professionally and with empathy.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I always keep in mind to be professional. I haven't always followed a process. What I always try to do is to talk with the individual. What has worked for me in the past is to be direct. Identify when there's an issue. But try hard to understand thier point of view. Often times it's a difference in philosophy of life. Work to understand where the other person is coming from. We are not always going to see eye to eye in the workplace, but respect for the individual is a must.

Wendal,
Listening is the most important part of communication. If we can understand the communicator the better we can communicate back. Listening is 87% of communication.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I talk to each individually and talk to them together, allowing each a turn to state their side of the problem. I try to find a positive value from each side to use to connect them in taking ownership of the situation and work as a team.

Christine,
Remaining neutral is important. There are always two stories for every issue. Recognizing the intelligence of each person and the importance of settling the issue for the sake of the team.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I like to think that I have a knack for diffusing a potentially problematic situation. I am normally somewhat quiet and let the other person vent. Throw in a few "Yes, I understand"s, and "abslolutely"s and when the person had calmed down enough then you might politely interject your thoughts on the situation(s).

If all else fails, cupcakes work great!

My worse problem has been with coworkers who fail to come to me with problems that they have WITH me. Instead of simply coming to me and expressing a concern about the way something is done, they go above my head to my supervisor or HER supervisor and that tends to make for lots of resentment in the workplace. Without talking about it, it escalates into a "spittin' contest" that ultimately no one wins.

Talk talk talk it out.

Sharyn,
Your first point is a very good one. When it comes to escalating conversations it is good to keep your composure. Each of us should not elevate our emotion to the level of the person who is upset. When someone is emotional the way to bring them down is to maintain and understand level of communication with sincere listening skills. 87% of good communication comes from listening.

Dr. Gary Carlson

First I think it is paramountly important to never ignore it. It always warrants pause and consideration. Initially I'd ask for more information from both parties and see if I can't faciliate a meeting of the minds by giving suggestions for each to take into a conversation between the two of them. If that doesn't work, I hold a meeting with the three of us, setting ground rules such as the goal is resolution, none of us are "right or wrong" and we will listen entirely to each person speak, paraphrase what was heard, and then respond. It usually works like a charm. Many times I find people just really need to be heard, appreciated and given the tools to use to better communicate with peers.

rebecca,

Listening is a big part of the process of conflict management. When we can show the concern and listen to the parties it immediately brings down the emotion. The key to your leadership is never rise to their level of emotion about the issue. Remain a leader and be able to step back and give good judgement and praise if appropriate.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I will go to my supervisor and the their supervisor to express the issue. Once we did that we come up with a plan to work for our different work styles.

Kourtnee,
Communication is key to success in any work related relationship. 87% of communication is listening. It sounds like everyone listened and an agreeable outcome was set.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Effective communication between managers and staff is so important. I always listen to both sides of a story before making any decisions. I also consult with my peers to get their opinions.

Tracy,
Communication is primarily made up of listening. Good communication is 87% listening. So! the best we can do is listen first then speak.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dr. Carlson,

I handle difficult interactions with others in the workplace by trying to see their point of view. I also try to ask myself how am I perceived by them. I currently have 6 team members who work for me and I try to treat them with the respect they deserve on a daily basis. I have learned from this course that I do need to delegate more to them and this will elevate their confidence in the workplace as well as alleviate stress and a big workload for me. I find that when I am noticing that they are stressed and that this could potentially lead to a disagreement with other team members, I ask them to step into my office to vent and destress. I give them time to explain their side of the story and why they are stressed and then I try calmly to encourage them to sit down with the other team member and calmly discuss their issues. This goes back to people's perceptions and how easy it is to make quick judgements. Then, we all meet to discuss a corrective plan of action that works for both parties. I believe that this is working because conflicts are becoming less and less over the past 5 years.

Pam

Pamela,
Good for you. You have found what works for you. This takes talent on your part to have people see you as consistent and fair with your direct reports. Sometimes this may cause jealousy with some unless you are always fair and consistent with every like issue.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have done the same think interviewed both parties and attempted to find the root of the problem. Listening is important especially when they both have two different ways of doing things. One think that works for me is knowing the person well enough to know how they are going to react. By knowing them well enough I can kind of help them understand each persons view and why they think that way. One thing that our company does is a personality style test which I feel is helpful not only to the managers but to the staff because you learn how to approach someone who may have conlfict with your personality style or with there style.

First off yelling does not do anything for the person it can really set the tone for the response or for how that person is going to react. I think keeping calm and not raising you level is good it is not always easy to do especially if that person is persistently having the same issue and not correcting it.

cindy,
Great approach. Once the parties know you are fair and will respond accordingly you get to a solution.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment