Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Majed,

The most important start to a communication is our listening to the parties involved. 87% of our communication success relies on listening. If we can move forward correctly we will have better success.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I hate to admit that I do not have a process to follow. The one thing that I habitually do is to try and find the truth in both sides of the story. I do feel that my efforts are in vain because I have a superior who is constantly rewarding bad behavior. It is killing the rest of the staff. I am having trouble keeping moral up.

Rebecca,
I know this may sound trite but we need to stand for our own principles. We need to remain positive and work within our own beliefs and values. We can wait out the negaive and be yourself in the time being. When dealing with people the major point is to not take sides and be a great listener. Keep emotion out of the problemsolving portion.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dr. Carlson,

I feel that emphatic listening is one of the best tools available to managers to diffuse difficult interactions in the workplace. It is imperative to listen to the individuals separate at first, never take sides and let the employee talk. The majority of the time each employee will realize who bears the responsibility and with some guidance the issue will be resolved. The follow up process is as important as the first meeting that is because the continued feedback will assist in the complete resolution of the issue.

Jorge,
When we listen it is important we are patient and assure them we are appreciative of their willingness to communicate. This doesn't mean we are always in agreement but we appreciate the openness.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I think this is a great idea, I too have several instructors that do not care for another. I have tried talking to both and told each they need to make an effort to be polite and respectful to each other, however I like your approach much better and I will implement that technique.

Petra,

Being proessional is key to success in any company or project. It may not be freiendly but we need to be progressive and undrestand what is in the best interest of the team

Dr. Gary Carlson

I handle difficult interactions by addressing each individual privately about the concern/situation. After listening to each I give it some thought and then get back to each of them. I speak highly of each to the other and address the similarities of the two. Usually one if not both come back and say that there was a misunderstanding and some personal issues/stresses may have played a part and they are respectful of the other's position.
This is normally the process I use, on occasion I may have to have both parties present, however if there is a lot of tension, I prefer one on one. One on one has been the most effective method for me.

Sign In to comment