Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, the annual review or perfomance review works well. We recenty had an instructor that was refusing to teach certain courses. The Dean and I reviewed her perfomance and specifically outlined the duties required to retain her position. Since then she has been a model employee.

It is always great to have no surprises. Everyone must know what is expected of them. When you can be specific it helps to communicate the accountability side of the expectation.

I have a hard time being around chronically negative people. I try to let them vent for a short amount of time and then divert them to more positive conversations.

Usually it starts by talking to the individuals involved in the difficult interaction one on one to see if they can solve the interaction on their own. It has worked for me in the past by giving possible course of actions for each of them to reach common ground. I find that if they resolve it on their own it empowers both of them. For me it has been effective about sixty percent of the time.
If a resolution is unsuccessful then I usually intervene by talking to both parties together and get the interaction issues on the table. As long as everyone stays calm the issues usually get resolved. I reserve the right that if someone, including myself, gets out of control in the conversation to take a break and reconvene to let cooler heads prevail. This is normally effective for any issue that could not be resolved by the parties on their own.
If the issues are still unresolved then I seek help outside of my department. Our Human Resources Department and Senior Management povide guidance and that resolves the remainder of the issues.

You done good job of organization ofa difficult situation. Your actions will resolve most issues. Nice Job!!

The first thing I do when a difficult situation arises I ask the person to meet me in my office and close the door so that it is just the two of us and make them feel that they can speak freely.I don't allow for any distraction and take as much time as needed. I find that most of the time the other person will speak their mind and this opens up for a two way conversation. Also I put my phone on DND and turn down the lights for a more peacfull atmosphere. I find that peaople are easier to speak to when they are more relaxed.

These are some very good techniques. You have to set the ground rules that when you leave the room you will be on the same page as understanding each others views. Those things that are private must remain private.

I have in the past interviewed both parties individually and attempted to find the root of the problem. Being a good listener is essential. Once you have heard both sides of the story, you can formulate an approach to resolve their differences. One person may not understand the other persons point of view. A joint discussion can then take place with you being the "mediator" and bring them both to an understanding of the others perspective.

Ralph,

It is a very good practice to hear both sides of the story. We often get ourselves into a problem when we draw quick conculsions. Along with meeting with both parties there is a talent by the mediator that will be to have a cooling off period during the conversation.

I like to stay quiet and listen: The first step I take in getting through difficult situations and moving to a reasonable conclusion is to listen carefully, and say very little. Remembering that even though the position of the person being difficult may be unclear or seem irrational, to that individual, it is clear, important, and likely has, at its base, some real concern, frustration, issue, or problem. Not speaking also prevents myself from saying anything I might regret, and allows myself to stay neutral and calm.

Mark,

Listening is the key to great communication. If we listen correctly we can say the right things to move the conversation in a productive way. Another great virtue to communication is patience. We need to be able to read beweent the lines.

Dr. Gary Carlson

First, if someone confronts about a misunderstanding or about confusion they have regarding the FA Process I:
1. Actively listen to their issue - this allows them to vent and calms them somewhat
2. I paraphrase what I believe they are trying to communicate and have them correct me if I misunderstood
3. I emphathize with them and let them know that they are not the only one's who feel this way
4. I explain the Dept of Ed's regulations by providing Dear Colleague Letters, showing them where to find the regulations regarding their issue of concer
5. I provide all their options they are eligible for based on compliance with the DOE regulations.
For the most part, this tends to deflate the situation once they see we are following DOE regulations but still giving them options within compliance.

It is also important to be mindful of your own biasesejudices so you don't unduly influence your listening. Be aware of words that might trigger an overly emotional reaction.

Suzanne,

Sorry for being late on my response. I have been traveling and haven't got to a computer. As our industry becomes even more regulated than in the past it is sometimes hard for our people to understand the necessity to follow the rules. It is important we always communicate three majors areas. Student customer service, quality programs and compliance are all must in our business of education.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Alexandra,
Keeping an open mind is not easy but is a necessity to make your people understand your unbiased opinion is genuine.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I've had a conflict of interest with a co-worker in the past about how to implement a new process. We were able to sit down at a pre-scheduled time (I don’t believe it’s a good idea to spring into conversation on the spot) and discuss the issue by identifying both viewpoints and determine the best interest of those affected. We were able to brainstorm in a healthy manner and came to a consensual conclusion. By understanding each other’s differences, we respect both ideas & we are able to work well as a team.

Gina,
You handled this very well. It is good to have a listening ear. After your discussion you agreed to move forward. This enhances your team and trust with the team.

Dr. Gary Carlson

When I had this issue in the workplace I brought the two individuals together and explained my observations and gave them suggestions on how to resolve their issues. I told them that we would meet in two weeks and that I expected each of them to have a game plan on why and how the situation could be resolved. I then suggested they exchanged their plans with each other.

Evelyn ,
Resloving issues is best when you become a good mediator. When people can get good advice and let them resolve the conflict with a positive attitude.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I do not necessarily have a "one way fits all" approach, but there is definitely a thought process that is involved in every difficult interaction. First, I look at the personality type of the employee and/or past experiences with this particular employee and decide which method of problem solving would work best. Those who tend to be defensive tend to repond better to humor and not direct confrontation. Others respond well to the direct approach as they are confident employees and are here to better themselves. They want to know what they are doing wrong. Some are better addressed by using written communication rather than verbal communication.

Sign In to comment