Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe pre and post assessment are critical in evaluating the level of learning achieved.

Assessments have always proven problematic in education. How do we prove to a larger audience that our students know something? How do we show hard evidence of something that is at times abstract and anecdotal? Rubrics, reflections, analysis, and pre-post tests, it is all very similar, just put in a new format.

The use of games as a mean of assessment is intriguing, as long as it is not too complicated to use. 

In this module, I have learned that Evidence-centered design supports assessment by combining competency, evidence and task models. This framework identifies the attributes being assessed and behaviors that represent such attributes, and it identifies the activities that connect what is being assessed to what players do within the game.

Not all games are useful and that is why there are tools to analyze their effectiveness.

While the game is important for engagement of the learners and to help them retain information/make new memories. It is also a potential assessment tool.

Well developed games and simulations can be used as a communication tool.

Formative assessments lend themselves to gaming activities since they offer playing them multiple times without stress.

The idea that gaming can serve as a means of relieving test anxiety definitely makes it worthwhile for consideration.  The additiaonal idea that a pre-test and post-test method of assessment could help better understand the impact of the gaming or simulation on learning.

THe game should asses the learners comprehension of the content.

Puedo rescatar los desafíos en las evaluaciones de los juegos, para que estos sean efectivos en un contexto educativo; uno de ellos es la integración en el curriculum, y a la vez resaltar el avance  que estos tienen en la educación.  

The importance of examining the value of the game to make sure that there is a high level of interest for the learner.

I liked the idea of using non-invasive assessments where they can be integrated into the curriculum to help limit test anxiety and provide better, more accurate analysis.

That games can be used as valid assessment methods - which I suppose on some level I already knew, but I'm struggling with the idea of an education assessment being a game. But then I have never enjoyed games and much prefer more concrete, and I guess 'traditional' assessment of skill.  Also, that there is a scale for measuring learner engagement with a game.  I had absolutely no idea. 

Engagement is the key.

Gaming can be used as an effective evaluation of student knowledge and understanding of material. Modifications can be easy to make to help with learning experience if needed. 

analytics help determine which student is grasping the intended purpose of the game and which students need additional queuing, monitoring and mentoring. 

Since games are low stakes you might just be assessing low stakes effort, there are some drawbacks with the analysis of data gathered in this way.

curriculums to integrate into the curriculum.

Comment on Helen Saunders's post: The use of analytics helps to develop a game in order to make it more attractive to students.

Sign In to comment