Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The idea of a 'game' can be intimidating to both students and faculty - buy in becomes important. 

I've learned that gaming has multiple beneficial applications for learning. However, its use as an engagement strategy provides immense opportunities for learning ownership. 

I find it time consuming and difficult to find games to incorporate online.  I dislike the time it takes to find an app or a game that would work online, then I feel the need to change it so students don't get bored playing the same game.  

It does help with retention of material, but is time consuming. 

Games and Simulators help the students engage with the class and the learning objectives. As teachers we need to supervise the interactions within the students so they focus in learning and not in winning or in their frustation when they loose. Every teacher need to spend time (TIME!!!!) to learn about games and simulators related to the terms we taught so we can implement them in class. Actually, I use online pages as Kahhot to close what we see in class, as a class final test. I will investigate others options of games and simulators I can implement in class. 

I have a PhD ABD in online learning. My dissertation is on gamification. Frankly, I didn't learn anything new. But I'm glad to have had the opportunity to learn from my peers.

I feel that starting to implement gaming into your very packed day of learning seems over whelming. I am in agreement that gaming and simulation are very valuable tools to engage learners in any environment. With limited prep time to develop and implement these activities it seems. I agree that poorly designed games and simulations may be boring and repetitious limited success in helping learners develop knowledge and skills. What would be the best way to start that would not overwhelm an instructor that may not have super technology skills?

I like building the data for games but it takes time. I have found multiple sites but I am still on the hunt for built games in our area and subject matter.

Games are helpful when used adequately. for instance, games need to be pre-planned thought out and has to apply to your specific class. each class is different so make sure the students in those classes are able to understand and engage. 

I feel that students today would be more engaged by having games involved as most students these days are gamers. I unfortunately do not teach, so not sure how I would implement this. 

Gaming is another way to learn but it takes time to create those games.

Gamifying learning is a great tool, however it does have its challenges to make it optimal for student engagement and maximum retention of content material. 

Gaming interest the majority of the younger students and stimulates learners to participate.

Games may make the information more interesting for students, I find that creating some of the games are time consuming.

Gaming interest the majority of the young learners and provide excitement and stimulations to learners.

I learned that thee students learn more

Trying to find a happy medium between academic content, entertainment, subject relevance, and real-world application seems to be a genuine struggle of its own. It's like juggling chainsaws, or at least that's what it feels like sometimes.   

• Gaming/ Simulation is helpful for developing professional decision making.
  • Preparation time is a draw back for teachers.
  • Need to balance fun/ competition & opportunities for insight. 

Simulations and games need to be realistic and focused on specific areas.  This can be time consuming and  support is needed 

I use games in breakout rooms which allow the students to work together. 

Showed the advantages and disadvantages of gaming. Would like more specific info

Sign In to comment