Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The self-analysis is important for the student to really take a look at their situation and abilities with the expectations and requirements for the course. For example: self-discipline, time management, commitment, accessibility, technology and family/friend support. I'm teaching classes which students who do not have a good grasp of uploading/downloading and saving files. Many do not have their own laptop and are restricted by the hours of the local library. It's also very common that students are working at least 1 full-time job and may have small children as well. It's important for the student to consider their challenges, strengths, weakness, what can be modified and who they can call on for support.

Not all students are equally prepared ad capable for handling online learning environment. Online learning requires good time management skills as well as good reading and writing skills. Also, it requires certain technology skills. It is therefore helpful to give students a self-analysis inventory to help them to recognize their strengths and weaknesses. Motivation is an internal state and students must be self-motivated to succeed in online learning environment. Often, motivation problems can be overcome through self-reflection and self-understanding. Self-analysis will help in these areas as well.

I find it interesting that you point out that technology is not an issue for high school students. I have 4 and 2 year old sons and technology is not even issue for them as they navigate iPad better than I do and already are interested in playing with my computer. I think that we, as teachers, may have more issued with technology than many of our students. Then again, at college level and grad school we do have a lot of adult learners who do struggle with technology quite a bit. Time management seems to be an issue for all of us these days with all the competing demands.

This is a good point. Students often answer the questions based on how they would like you to see them and how they would like to see themselves, and are often not even self-aware enough to answer the questions correctly (if there is such a thing as "correct" answer).

Lori,

I agree with you and many institutions do that. Many will make a student take it before they register for an online course. The problem is they don't always share information.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Charles,
Thank you for sharing this important post. I am not sure why students think an online course is easier and less time consuming than a f2f course. Although it amazes me when students miss f2f courses and expect to be successful also. Students must engage in the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sueanne ,

Wow, you have some real challenges. If students take a serious look at the issues and plan accordingly with our help they can be successful. These items should be information to change, not excuses to use.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

You make a great observation. When we know our strengths and our weaknesses we can find ways to succeed which we can help them. This also helps them in the professional life also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

Well, I find that many of our students have very shallow technical skills. The one thing they don't have is fear of the technology. I find traditional students don't have the production technology skills many of us think they have. They get frustrated too.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

Great post. All want to "look" good. it is important they understand why they are doing it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It really is critical to ask online students to take a self-analysis skills inventory both to cover their current/changing online skills and to assess their knowledge base for the course. Sometime we think of a self-analysis inventory as a one-time task but our students’ skills and knowledge are ever-changing and must also be reassessed. As students take more online classes, many will learn tips and tricks along the way and will even improve their skills at using the online platform, accessing tutoring/labs and their time management skills. Sometimes we provide too many resources in the online environment and the skills inventory is a way to see what % of students are aware of or even using these resources.

Krista,

You post an important word; "change". Students need to see they change and the change is due to learning. They also need to learn how to use a variety of skills and knowledge from other sources (maybe other courses) to be successful in the course they are currently in

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson,

It is important to ask online students to complete a self - analysis inventory because as instructors,we need to assess their ability to succeed online. In every new course/term, there is a new population of students that may have their own set of ideas of what their online learning experience will be. For example, I have had some learners who think that it will be easier online since they are constantly on their i-phones checking email, facebook, etc. They are often surprised when they engage in the course and discover the amount of time that must be invested to be successful learners.
The student self analysis comes in handy since it reflects a student's weaknesses and strengths. As instructors, we can utilize this information to better guide the student in the course and facilitate their learning in the online environment. There are other benefits as well such as creating a connection with your students, and be able to engage the students in discussions or forums emphasizing their strengths.

Cheers,
Su

Su,

What a great post. Yes, many of our traditional students think they are engaged when they are on their phone. It is important they understand that just talking with students doesn't mean they are engaged in the course. Also, it is a tool for the instructor to help provide that extra guidance that a student might not even know they need.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I work at an online college and have taught several courses there. The idea that online courses are easier than face-to-face courses is common. Students do not factor in greater reading times in to their estimate of time the course will take. Our college also includes videoed lectures and students do not realize that watching an Instructor speaking from the computer (talking head style) takes a lot of time and frequently includes more information than an Instructor would impart in a live class.

A student self-analysis would help students identify their strengths and weaknesses so they can see what aspects of the online course will be easier or more difficult.

Chana,

Thank you for sharing your situation. It is amazing they don't factor in the time, although I am not seeing more of this even in my f2f courses. Students underestimate the time it takes to complete what is needed to be successful in a course whether it is f2f our online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

True. Students frequently don't factor in reading time. However, lectures cannot cover all the material students must learn.

Chana,

You are right nor should they. When we talk about student centered I also include student responsible. That means they have to "invest" in their learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe when students are asked to complete a self analysis inventory, it helps them to look at themselves and really understand what they may need or at least what they like and dislike as it relates to an ideal learning environment. I think self-analysis will help the student be more honest about what they need to do in order to be successful in the classroom. The self analysis will also help the student become aware of what they should seek to in order to help them improve their learning outcomes and possibly seek the assistance of their instructors.

Its important to understand the students ability to access technology. Each student has different levels of understanding technology.

Sign In to comment