Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Milka,

Why would you make it easier? I actually try to be frank with students regarding self assessments. If I think they aren't prepared for the course or online I provide them with resources are discuss options. Weakness is no excuse for not doing work. The objectives of the course must be met by the student to receive a passing grade.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Shannon,

I agree. In the culture of "everyone gets a trophy", I try to be honest (maybe blunt)with students. I find students shocked they may not be able to do it. I also don't give points for trying. That can be an eyeopener also

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

A self-analysis inventory is important to ask online students to complete because this provides a basis and foundation to build upon throughout the online instruction. This allows the student to become aware of their own personal skills, learning styles and online learning experience. It may demonstrate areas that need further improvement where the instructor can provide the necessary support or instruction where needed.

As instructors, this also gives our students a time to reflect upon their own academic, personal and professional development; where we can provide the necessary teaching tools needed to help them in their growth.

Students completing a self-analysis allows the instructor to know and better prepare the student for online learning, allows the students to express their grasp of the use of online technology, their strengths and weaknesses of taking a class online - especially for the first time.

I have found that many students, and those around them, have the perception that an online class is easier and takes less time than traditional F2F classes. In fact, some choose the online option specifically because of this reason. When they find out that is not the case, they are often already behind so they have to devote even more time in order to get caught up.

A self-analysis can help avoid this misconception before it becomes an issue.

A self-analysis inventory helps students, and instructors, understand how they best learn and what motivates them. This is important, especially in an online environment, as instructors have to try different techniques to engage and retain students.

It is important that online students complete a self-analysis inventory because it will allow them to gauge their readiness to learn in an online educational environment. It will provide the instructor with valuable information on the student. With the type of information from this tool, the instructor will know what techniques and tools to provide a student who may have specific challenges. For example, a student with time management issues can be given tools for setting a schedule. I would suggest using alerts on their smartphones to set personal scheduling goals to have tasks completed, due dates, and reminders.

Twyla Arnold

I think its a great way to gain an understanding of the students because each of them are different in some way. Once we know their needs and how to properly motivate them we can begin structuring a class that appropriate.

Melissa,

You are correct. It does allow us as instructors to provide individualized instruction to help students improve in their learning. With technology, we can provide students the resources without really increasing our workload. It is a win-win.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

You are right, ti does provide students with practical information to begin their online journey. It also provides them with a focus to make them successful in the environment. We as instructors have to facilitate their growth using the self analysis data.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Ron,

Would someone tell me where students learned that online learning was easy? You are right, when they realize this is still learning the subject they are behind and frustrated. How many times are we, the instructor are blamed? Hopefully the self analysis will alter these perceptions.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eryn,

It does give you a glimpse of your students' skill set. It also give students a realistic glimpse of their skills set so they know what they need to work on .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Twyla ,

It really does provide us (instructors) with knowledge to provide individualized instructors with the resources we have. It can really be a great opportunity to help students change weaknesses into strengths.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jerome,

Great post, I am amazed that many of my students have never really analyzed their learning skills. We may need to do this more often and in f2f courses also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

If we don't ask them to honestly evaluate themselves there is no starting point. By that I mean, how can anyone improve if there is nothing to improve upon? Goes along with the entire idea of using pre-tests to personalize learning. Additionally how can an online instructor know how to assist a student without a self-evaluation?

-Chris

Dr. Christopher,

I also use it remind students they come to the class with expectation of certain knowledge of skills base. They need to know what they do and don't know.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe it is important so that students can truly understand if online or traditional classes are best for them.

A student who is taking an on-line class may have a tendency to think an on-line class will be easier and they will not need to devote as much time to it as a traditional classroom. So the self analysis can help the student think and discuss their priorities prior to taking the on-line class

Chantee ,

I agree students need to know what best suits them but I would like for them to wee their weaknesses in learning something to fix rather than fix. There is some interesting research that is debunking learning styles.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

William,

It is still a mystery to me who told people that online is easy. We have to continue to tell students they have to be discipline to be successful and that isn't always a skill students have. We have to be honest to students about their success.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment