Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Edna,

Right on! We are always told to understand our audience and that is essential. But, knowing ourselves and helping our students understand themselves is equally important so that we an all improve and work together to achieve the set learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

If the students do not complete this analysis they come to the table with three legs on the chair. At some point they are going to fall. They need that list to help ensure they understand all of the expectations and requirements. That provides a firm ground for the rest of the course.

The on-line environment has pitfalls that reduce the engagement of the student. You can discuss with the student and strategize how this environment will fit them.

There are many reasons as to why it is important for instructors to ask their students to complete a self-analysis inventory.

By completing the self-analysis, students will be better able to determine and understand if they are ready to complete an online course. The self-analysis will also contain information as to the students strengths/weaknesses. With this information the students can better understand what skills they need to improve to help guarantee their success in the online course.

Nathan,

I like your analogies. Knowing your students and helping the students understand themselves is helpful in developing the course and theri skills. Thanks for your input.

Laura,

As we all can learn more about ourselves through self-analysis, it is important for instructors and students. We all have to know our strengths and weaknesses and how to improve upon our weaknesses. Knowing about your students helps you design courses and teach more effectively. Thanks for your input.

Dahlia,

Can you elaborate on what engagement strategies you have used?

The phrase "know thyself" is perfect when it comes to learning. One must know his/her own learning style, possible learning disabilities, motivations, etc., in order to tackle the challenges of academia. If the student is not aware of limitations, motivation, and strengths, he may flounder in college, taking class after class and failing many, wasting time and money, until he "discovers himself." I have heard this from many students: "If I only knew then what I know now, I'd be doing...." Maturity is a big factor in success, but the student can be aided in the understanding of herself by taking an online self-analysis inventory that pushes the process a bit faster. Many have never examined themselves so this is a good way to help students find a plan of action, a course of study, and a road to success.

June,

Right on! The better we know ourselves and understand our students, the better we can provide content In a variety of ways to help all students better grasp the content. Thanks for your input.

David, this is so true. Since two of my schools have started to place emphasis on self evaluation, assessments, and commitment to policies, etc., the students seem to be faring better in general. I think that an intro class for any school should be essential for students to take so that they know what they are getting into, and the self assessment could be done then.

June and David,

Thanks for continuing the conversation in this forum. I agree that an introduction course is helpful for students. Self-assessment in my classes has seems to help students understand that they are responsible for their learning. Nice job.

Students may approach an online course with certain pre-conceived ideas of what it will entail. As we have learned, an online course will typically require more time than the F2F class, and certainly a higher level of self-motivation is needed.

It is important to establish the student’s readiness for that environment. It will be helpful for students to better understand what motivates them, and also understand that time management skills will be needed.

The results of the analysis will also help me, as the instructor, to understand what type of learner he/she is and what type of motivational strategies I may need to use. A self-analysis can also help the student identify his/her strengths and weaknesses. Once those strengths/weaknesses are identified, I can further guide the student on developing skills that will be needed for success in the online classroom.

Jennifer ,

You are right. I do think most students do approach online courses differently particularly the first time they take a course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Students new to the online environment tend to think that this will be an "easy" format and they can complete the work "tomorrow". Well, I'm sure we all know that for them, tomorrow never comes!

An online assessment begins to alert them to requirements that will be necessary for success in the online modality that they likely have not considered. Often simple strategies such as setting a time for "no interuptions" will allow them to concentrate on their classes without feeling that they are abandoning their home or professional time. It also lets them think about how to truly customize the online experience to their advantage. This includes how, when or where they may choose to do their academics.

Requiring them to do a STUDENT assessment also helps to reinforce the idea that they are in school and will have new academic responsibilities.

You can’t assume that just because a student registered for an online course they are actually ready. Many times students have different perceptions of online course and may be under the impression they are indeed prepared. It’s important to provide an assessment for two reasons:
1. The students benefit-By answering questions on their readiness the student will begin to think heavily about it there are indeed ready and if not may take the necessary steps to prepare themselves for online learning.

2. The instructors benefit-The online assessment can provide the instructors with details on how prepared the students are which can provide insights on hoe he/she can better prepare for their courses.

The online readiness lastly benefits the institutions as it can also provide insight into the tools that might be helpful in preparing students better for online education.

We think alike. Students are under the impression online education is easier.

I think it is important for students to complete a self-analysis inventory for two reasons. First, we need to educate our students on what it will take to be successful in an online environment. Students think that self-pace = procrastinate or complete all of your work in one day. The second reason is to help students now take what they learned from the inventory and either work on the areas they are deficient or to help them choose a different course of action. Anything we can do to help our students be better prepared is worth doing and this definitely goes into that category.

I have to wonder why students still think this. I know that the self paced approach does work for many working students but I don't think that even they would say that online education is easier. I sure wish we could dispel this myth!

Beth,

I agree. Many programs required students to take a self analysis as part of online orientation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tonya,

Well said! Should students be required to develop a time management plan as part of the course orientation? Thoughts?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment