Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tonya,

Yes, how do we change that perception before they flunk? That remains the challenge.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Liz,

Good points! it is important to determine that students have the "soft" skills needed for success in the online environment. Can we develop their skills during the course or do they need to come to the course with skills?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Liz,

If this makes you feel any better, they all think they will be very successful in f2f courses also. I think the disconnect is between post-secondary and high school.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Many students take online classes for the convenience. In my experience, most of my students are new to the online environment, but think an online class will be the same as a F2F class, with the added benefit of being able to take the class in pajamas. I don't think students are adequately prepared for the time committment involved, the level of professionalism that needs to go into their work, the technology needed to successfully complete the course, etc.
A self-analysis inventory would allow the students to assess how prepared they actually are to not only TAKE an online class, but to be SUCCESSFUL in an online class, and they will also see the expectations from the school/instructor/etc- if they are being asked the question on the inventory, it will clearly be part of the class. They could opt out of the class before they dedicate a lot of time to the content and assignments.

Natalie,

What a great comment! I particularly honed in on your comment about a "level of professionalism" We do expect that but students have no clue what that is. Great insight.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think a big part of this is perception. Many learners are not used to this online environment, and when there is a lack of perceived structure. It reminds me of going from high school to college, less rules, less handholding, etc., but more responsibility for independent study and meeting deadlines. Maybe it is that learners fall back into these same patterns and instead of having a structure where they need to attend a weekly class, this structure of online is new to them, and therefore days, even weeks slip by before they realize they may be getting into trouble.

I think their own self-analysis of what motivates them is important, but also their perception of what is really expected of them – maybe they believe they can really hop on a Sunday night and complete all their work, but has it typically turns out this may not be the case.

However, I think this might be good practice to try as a test in week one discussion – what do they really think they need to succeed in this course

Steve

I agree that a student assessment is crucial and I will add that when I have my students complete this type of assessment I also have them do a reflection afterwards. I ask them to discuss and make a plan to conquer the weakness that the assessment pointed out. For example, if one of the weaknesses that they have is time management, I will ask them to construct a schedule for me that will display how they will complete all of their assignments.

A schedule would probably help them. When a student posts a late assignment and admits that they had poor time management skills, I apply the full late penalty. This is more of an instructional tool in that hopefully, they just get this lesson once. For those with legitimate (and non-chronic) lateness, I will reduce the penalty.

Students may not have a clear understanding of what is needed of them in an online learning enviroment. They may also not have a clear understanding of what their actual skill sets are. By testing students you can help them to understand what skills they have and what skills they need. You can also help them to learn what motivates them and why, you can help them to understand their learning habits and what works and what does not work. With all of this information it will be easier to help them to adjust their habits, goals and to offer solutions to deficiencies in skill sets, by helping them to find tutoring help where they may need it.

Heather,

I also do the same thing. I will ask them to identify strategies based on their analysis.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Beth,

You have to hold students accountable. this is a life lesson.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trina,

yes, that is true. I think also, that it is up to us as instructors to make sure that we continue to reinforce the good habits.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Steven,

Great insight! You make some really valid points. I think we have to continually make them aware of the importance of them controlling the learning environment rather than the environment controlling them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Thanks....I do think awareness if probably one of the most important things to remember

When students complete a self-analysis inventory, it gives them the opportunity to take control over what he or she puts into the assessment. Once the student self-analysis is accomplished, students may decide to make specific changes, communicate with instructors / facilitators about future learning goals, and work with their peers to reflect on what they have learned. A student self-analysis also allows the instructors / facilitators to assess where students think they are in the learning process, which ultimately helps instructors / facilitators focus their teaching.

Self Analysis Inventories in general will provide an autobiographical feedback to ourselves over items we may not as students consider asking about a particular topic.

For students taking an online class for the first time, it will give the student an idea of what kind of time commitment is involved, what type of study habits need to be formed, what time management skills need to be addressed. It will also, help a student to determine whether they learn best in the morning or evening as well as what type of learner he or she might actually be.

For students that are former online learners, it is a good reminder of the areas that he or she may have struggled at in the past and areas that may need extra attention as well as strengths he or she may have found in the online learning environment.

Hi Everyone,

I think a self-analysis is a great idea. Being an online student requires more self-discipline and motivation than being in a face-to face class. Students are not often ready for this and may even think that online is easier. This is why a self-assessment is necessary.

Through self-assessment students can see whether or not they have the skills necessary for taking online classes. They may have to manage their own time, and be ahead of deadlines. They may need to look up their own answers, or work ahead so that if they have questions they leave enough time to get an e-mail or answer from their instructor. They have to have strong reading comprehension skills and be able to take written feedback and learn from it. They also need to have strong netiquette skills as they will be doing an abundance of writing and communicating with their peers.

Being online is rewarding, but one must be prepared for it.

It is important as an instructor to determine to what degree students are prepared. Do they have the ability to be online learners. A self-analysis will help me identify the strengths and weaknesses of the student and help them imrpove in these areas. I can then better guide them in the learning process.

It's important to have a sense of what students perceive about the online environment and their participation in it. Sometimes, what they anticipate aren't necessarily aligned with what actually occurs. In order to bridge that gap that might exist, having information directly from them can assist instructors in providing more of what they need.

This is important because as each student is unique in how they view the material and process the information.

I would use the VARK protocol to see how they best learn and then customize my teachings to certain (if possible within the framework of an established course) to see how the student learns best.

Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Sign In to comment