Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Karen,

I agree with you. It is a way for students to look at themselves critically. This is a skill they can use all of their lives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

lance,

That is true. It also makes the student aware of their own strengths and weaknesses.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When students sign up for the on-line or blended courses, initially they believe that it is going to an "easy" course. Having them fill out the self-analysis inventory, helps the student to realize what positives they can bring to that type of environment, but also what they might need to work on. It also helps the instructor to gauge where the student might need some guidance. In the presentation it talked about how students might not realize that the on-line course is just as important and valuable as the face to face course. I see this a lot, as I teach in the blended environment. Some courses are in a classroom and others are blended, meaning some in a classroom and a portion on-line. I have seen this many times, where the student tends to concentrate more on the classroom subjects and let the "self propelled" course fall by the wayside. Having the student self-assess, will help the instructor and the student ensure that both environments are met with the same motivation.

Students come from a variety of backgrounds in their educational foundation. Some students have been very successful in their prior educational experiences and other have not. It is important for the student to take a self-analysis inventory to allow an open discussion with the student on areas that may hinder the student's success in the on-line learning environment. We are here to assist in their success.

Why is it important to ask online students to complete a self-analysis inventory?

By identifying students' strengths and weaknesses, instructors can provide guidance to help students achieve learning outcomes. Students all have strengths and weaknesses and it's important to acknowledge them, utilize them, and, if necessary, improve upon them to become better students in the online environment (Wilkinson, n.d.).
From my experience, I have noticed that self-analysis saves time and frustration of both students and instructors.

It is good to have students complete a selef-analysis inventory for several reasons. This list will allow the student to view his priorities in life. Time management is a big issue for many students. Another reason is to show the student the requirements for passing the course.

So you know where they stand as a learner and can change styles based on that info.

By allowing students to complete a self-analysis, it helps the instructor get a better understanding of what the students strengths and weaknesses. As the instructor prepares for the online course, it is important that they are aware of they need to do in order for the student to be successful in the online environment. Students also need to evaluate themselves to determine what their skills are as it relates to the online learning environment.

I think that this will uncover to the student what assumptions he or she has coming into the class and if they are correct. Sometimes students think that online classes are easy or at least easier than onsite classes. They might not budget enough time for reading or writing, if they act on this assumption. It is important to set them straight and show them the reality of online learning, preventing any disappointments later on.

Being a graduate of an online university and teaching online - I believe that it is necessary to find out about your students, so that you know how to help them be successful in your course.

It is important for students to complete a self-analysis pertaining to their compatibility with online learning because not every student will be successful as an online learner. Online learning requires a certain familiarity and access to technology. Obviously, if one does not own a computer, have internet access, or have any means of obtaining these things, then online learning is not a good fit. It would be extremely difficult to just interface with the class.

Even a strong traditional student may not thrive in the online classroom. Everyone learns differently and has a unique life situation. All of these need to be considered in conjunction with the commitment made to taking a college level course. Most students are somewhat familiar with the traditional course room from secondary school, but each student should self-reflect about the difference of online education and how they fit with it!

Best,
Brian Stout

Although much of the online classroom is pre-designed, a lot is left to the online instructor. To best adapt the course and teaching style to individual students, we need to understand their strengths and weaknesses, thus the self-analysis.

This is not something I had thought about incorporating into my classes.

I go over many of the time management suggestions, but the inventory would go a long way in helping them to be self-aware of their ability to function in an online class.

So many of my students think they can wait until the deadline to submit work, but in a composition course, this doesn't work. When students rush, they miss required elements, don't edit, and therefore, generally do poorly.

I look forward to being able to incorporate this idea in my next term.

Hello,

Thanks for the opportunity to answer this question. Truly, this particular module was very beneficial to me. In seven years of online teaching, I have never used this method. However, after viewing, I believe this can be very beneficial. For starters, I think this tool can be helpful in understanding what the student's strengths and weaknesses are. In turn, I could provide potential techniques to improve on any issues. Personally, I like the approach of presenting the class with my own questions based on the course. I also want to know what type of learner the students are so I can provide tips, as well as, include information to help all of the various learning styles.

It is recommended that instructors create a series of questions to guide the students in understanding the importance of being prepared for the on line learning environment.

It is essential to help the students identify with their learner style and to recognize their strengths and weakness to be successful in an on line course. Once this is accomplished the instructor can then hone in on strategies to assist students by turning their weaknesses into strengths.

Hi Melissa,

Great post! I agree the online environment can be challenging because there is no face to face interaction. Therefore, non -verbal communication that is typically captured in the face to face setting is not easily recognized in an on line environment.

The instructor must manage the course to identify the disengaged students who are typically not self-motivated and lack time management skills.

I have found that constant communication to build the students confidence increases the students overall academic success rates. The communication channels that are effective are emails, prompt assignment feedback and posting in the announcements to the students collectively as a class to keep them abreast of the expectations. In addition I try to provide student support by scheduling one on one sessions to help him or her gain a better understanding of the coursework.

Students need to do an self-analysis to determine if they are both ready for online learning and to understand what online learning requires on the student's part.

Students are used to the traditional classroom model where they will be in a classroom and will just have to follow the instructor. Online learning is different. Students will need to be aware of how the online classroom works, the technology required to use different features of it and what are the instructor's expectations. Student will also have to manage their time themselves instead of having the instructor do so as in a traditional classroom model. This requires online students to learn about both the online environment and their strengths/weakness in studying in that environment.

Sign In to comment