Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting a student to consider their readiness helps him or her focus on what the skills, knowledge, attitudes and develop goals. Also, I believe a self-assessment gives a new student some control and a plan when they are feeling overwhelmed by the “look” of an online classroom.

Students often come to online courses with misconceptions about the nature and requirements needed to succeed. Frequently they perceive online courses to be “education lite” meaning that it is less work than a traditional course. They also may have the impression that because there are few or no required face to Face (F2F) encounters with the instructor or course mates that the time spent on completing assignments can be “fit in” around the other “important” life obligations they have. It serves them well if instructors stress that their education is indeed an important – if not the most important – one of those life obligations and therefore deserves a priority status in their schedule planning.

How much priority would we give to something that once acquired we could never loose no matter what? An education is just that. It’s something that no one can ever take away from us and that we’ll have all our lives. Moreover, the fringe benefits that grow from an education not only include the prospect of professional opportunities but untold enhancements of personal, cultural and aesthetic enrichment as well. The achievement of something this valuable should not be taken lightly and certainly deserves a priority status.,

My father was form Indiana and famous for his “Hoosireisms” – pearls of wisdom encapsulated in colloquialisms and metaphors. One of these was the observation that “No time is lost in whetting.” In practical terms he meant that just as time spent sharpening, (whetting) an ax ultimately saved time in chopping the winter’s wood. Likewise, good preparation is essential for efficient and successful completion of most endeavors. Self-analysis is essential in whetting, or as Dirty Harry said: “A man’s gotta know his limitations.” And I would add – find ways to expand them or compensate for them in the whetting process.

Wayne ,

I LOVE YOUR POST! I will share with my students (I am in Indiana) your Hoosierism! I don't think your comment could be said any better.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Deborah,

I agree! I think also students don't know what they don't know.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

I am embarrassed to say I don't know VARK. Explain!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stacy,

Good point! When real world hits, it does set students off track many times.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kirk,

Good point! Do you "flag" students that are at risk?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Julie,

Great point! You are right about preparing them for their "unknown". They don't always believe you.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

kristen,

You are right about reminding students the expectations of online learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Carla,

Don't you think it is important for instructors to give students strategies to implement changes?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The effort we put into the analysis is a major plus in motivating a student to consider his or her mindset (attitude), knowledge, and previous learning experiences to create approaches to online learning and develop end goals in his or her online learning journey that will prove successful.

I have been teaching online for 19 years, and I can vouch from these years of experience as to the need – and success – of the self-analysis for students. They have been immeasurably helpful in determining the strengths and weaknesses of my students, which of my “motivation tools” will work best with each student, and possible external obstacles a student may have that might negatively impact online learning. Too, it is important the student understand his / her strengths and weaknesses; these are used by the student, of course, in better tackling the course, but also by the instructor for a more targeted approach to teaching the student.

To be sure, the self-analysis inventory is easily one of the most underutilized tools by online instructors -- and yet it is one of the most helpful. Other thoughts on this?

Learners may not be fully aware of all that's involved in taking an online class; this will give them an idea of what to be prepared for. Even experienced online learners may not have taken the time in the past to think about their strengths and weaknesses and can benefit a great deal.

Darcy Schultz

I think it's important to complete a self-analysis inventory to get a "snapshot" of students' perception and online readiness. Many students are under the impression that online learning is easier than traditional but that is not an accurate perception, in most cases.

It is important to have them to complete the self-analysis inventory to see exactly where they are and what skills you will need to cover before beginning the initial lesson.

It is very important for students to complete a self-analysis inventory so they know where they stand as far as learning in an online environment. Online learning is not for everyone and they need to understand the need for seeing at what point of being comfortable they are at.

Being a self-motivator is an important factor in having success in the online environment. Completing a self-analysis can help a student realize this and help them better manage their time.

Errol,

I love your post! You really use the self analysis tools as motivation tools. That is so smart. You can look into your "crystal ball" to determine pitfalls of the student. Great technique.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Darcy,

You are correct. This may be the "aha" moment that they don't have to have in a f2f course as they are comfortable with the environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Detra,

You are right. That snapshot can be very valuable in predicting pitfalls of students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Clovis,

You are right. Students don't know what they don't know! We have to make them aware.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment