Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Authoring Online Course

When authoring your own online course, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

While authoring an online course, Facilitator should create and test the course-module template is essential for the development and consistency of future course modules. Based on preferred delivery method, the course may be organized by content or date. First question a facilitator should ask while creating a course module, the first question is, "Will it make sense to the students?" The course content may be driven by date, content, or learning management system (LMS); however, it must be provided in an easy-to-use format.
Course should have dynamic syllabus to add interactivity and make it different from f2f syllabus format. Facilitator should create a learning-objects database is a repository to store files, graphics, audio, video, or any necessary course component that may be used more than once in a course or in a variety of courses. Maintaining such a database saves time as the course developer may quickly find, sort, locate, and upload desired components. Learning objects may vary in size, scope, and level of complexity and interaction. They can be combined with content to provide a more robust learning experience. It is also important to understand that learning objects are not tied to particular class data, but to subject matter.
Facilitator should review and revise course periodically to make it more student centered and thereby create a meaningful online community.
Ajay Kalra

AJAY,

Yes, your comments are right on track. We do have to think about the information provided in the syllabus and how we engage students. We do have to change a few things from F2F courses.

The students, the content and the LMS. The students are key, information must be presented in a way that it applies to each learning style. The content is very important. Content can be delivered in many different ways, and finding the correct method for the subject method. The LMS must be one that you can utilize the correct modality for the content.

Quiana,

You are right on track. The students are what we are here for and we want to deliver content in a way they can grasp it and help them improve. Thanks!

The three most important things to consider are the: audience (types of learners) specific course content and related objectives, and evaluation of learning.

Sheila,

Thanks for your input. The learners, content, objectives and assessment are all essential elements.

I believe you should consider content delivery as students all learn different. Next would be the content itself. Will it be information they can use in the field. Lastly would be how shall I assess what they have learned.

Antoine,

Yes, the content and the way the students learn are essential components to learning. Once the content is learned, the assessment is essential. Thanks for your input.

Format
Learning Objectives
Student's Objectives

june,

Can you please ellaborate on what you mean by the statement you posted? More info please. Thanks!

The three most important things to consider is the following:
1. What is it that I want to convey to students
2. What is it that I want to students to retain
3. A consint look and feel to the course.

Hi Tena
When authoring an online course I believe the most important concerns to keep in mind are:
Format
Learning Objectives
Student's Objectives

Format: Before the material can be organized you need to identify the Format, will this be a course with Discussion Boards, Chats, Group Assignments, Exams, Term Papers etc. Once the format is clear, the material can be distributed amongst the tasks in the most meaningful way.

Learning Objectives: Once the format is set, the content has to reconcile with the institution's learning objectives and outcomes for the course as it is described in the University Catalog. While focusing on areas of the Law that I feel are important for my students to know, I have to be conscious of the specific design of the course as established by the institution and ensure that my content meets the program and major goals as well.

Student's Objectives: Finally, after the format is set, and I have ensured that the institutions learning objectives have been met, I include content to meet the student's objectives, ie. What would the student like to get out of this course, and how can I shape the content to better fit the students career objectives. For example, if I have a class that is 70% nursing students as opposed to a class that is 70% accounting students, the examples and hypotheticals will vary to be more palatable to the students, and to design a way for the material to reflect situations they will encounter in their carrers.

Thanks
June

Christopher,

Right on - Communication, learning out comes and a course in which they can navigate easily.

These are all a must! Thanks for your input.

june,

Right on. You mention the objectives more then once. ;-) Hence the importance. You are thinking the process through. Thanks for the food for thought.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

The most important thing to consider are the students. The second and third order considerations would be course content/objectives and assessment methodology.

Amie,

Right on! The students, what they are to learn and assessing what they have/have not learned. Concise, but complete. Thanks!

Selecting a software plaform that student's see as easy to use and has substance is the first. Incorporate in this environment screen shots of the instructor along with audio and even a Blackboard to compliment the discussion boards and chat rooms is a good second step. The final point is to encourage meaningful feedback from the participants namely the students to see how they feel about the learning environment. As we have learned in the course the students are the consumers, our success along with other stakeholders (institution, etc) heavily rely on their perception of the outcomes.

Don ,

Sounds like you are hitting all of the students' senses. You are doing things that are visual and auditory and providing feedback to help students improve. Keep up the good work.

I have developed a lot of courses and the three most important things I take into account are:

1. What do I want the students to learn?
2. What is the experience and knowledge level of my prospective students?
3. Given #1 and #2, what is the best way to bring the knowledge to this audience?

Kurt

Sign In to comment