Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online courses can be created interactive activities that help engage students while meeting their individual learning styles. When creating an online course, it is important to remember
1. course objectives
2. the different learning styles students possess - thus influencing different ways in which material is delivered
3. time frame for course completion - influencing types of activities presented

I teach mathematics, chemistry, physics, and philosophy online, although I teach mostly the first 3. The 3 most important things I consider is the 3 best ways to supplement the target audiences ability. I have found online students to be far weaker than ground students in general, and online math students are even weaker moreso. As a result, I make sure that my courses contain tons of motivational poems and videos. I have worked for 7 different online schools, and it is pretty much a given that online students get at least 3 attempts per quiz or test. Therefore, you know that the overwhelming majority of online students will need more than 1 attempt per assignment to pass. Therefore, I incorporate that, and finally, I make sure that I have a webliography in each course, which is a list of 200 additional math help websites where students can get additional help.

Stephanie,

Any time you can integrate engaging/interactive activities, the better. And, considering learning personalities/styles, course objectives and how long you have to provide content and students have to complete the course are essential. Thanks!

Vince,

Interesting conclusion. I have not found that result (weaker students); however, I teach a mandatory course for all students in the college, so I get all students. When they get several attempts on a quiz, is there a testbank of several questions or do they just get the same questions over and over again?

I need to consider the course outcomes and what I intend to highlight in the course. Secondly I need to consider the availabilty of course material and what ways I need to augment the content to help the students arrive at a greater understanding. Finally I will also give consideration to the platform in which I am hosting the course. If it has an integrated chat system I will use it to support with lecture material. If not, I will be sure to record myself and send out the files or create a youtube network.

Jerrod,

The course outcomes are a must - you're right. Sounds like you are using a variety of tools to disseminate information. Keep it up.

1. What is the ultimate goal of the coarse, what do students need to get out of the instruction.
2. Which tools are effective (videos, audio, charts, etc.) for the content of the course, which are not.
3. Are live conferences necessary in order to provide additional nuances regarding the material.

Engelbert,

It's good to think carefully about the goals/objectives, etc. As we work from there and branch out, it's a good thing. Thanks!

What do I want the students to take away from this course?
How do I want to structure the assessments?
What would I like to see (if I were the student) to keep me engaged in an online course?

Kyle,

Good questions. Thanks for framing your input in this forum in that way so others can think about similar questions.

The objective of the course, the main points to achieve that, and finally the sub-points to achieve the main points

To me the needs are the class objectives

We also have to understand the environment we are in

I think there is a very important issue to keep in mind, pay attention to the needs of students. That's the most important thing beyond the technology used or the products, which are two of the factors that should not forget.

Juan Carlos,

Great point. We should be thinking about the students and their needs. Thanks for your input.

Kevin,

Yes, we have to think about the objectives first. We have to connect everything to the objectives. Thanks!

Kevin,

Ah - good way to think about it. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin,

Yes, the learning environment is essential. As the students are an essential component of that, we have to consider all aspects. Thanks!

Without discussing actual course design elements that could make or break a course, if a author was just writing the material these are the top three things in my book for an online class:

1. Objectives and goals are organized in a consistent logical progression. The class should look familiar in design to other course offerings.
2. The lessons meet the diverse needs of the student population. This would include an understanding of the challenges faced by non-traditional students and also incorporate varying learning styles.
3. The lessons should have real world application.

Posting a second time.....

Without discussing actual course design elements that could make or break a course, if a author was just writing the material these are the top three things in my book for an online class:

1. Objectives and goals are organized in a consistent logical progression. The class should look familiar in design to other course offerings.
2. The lessons meet the diverse needs of the student population. This would include an understanding of the challenges faced by non-traditional students and also incorporate varying learning styles.
3. The lessons should have real world application.

Sign In to comment