Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I need to assess how I want the content or information to be delivered. Through analysis learn who my students are, what their learning needs are, what is their knowledge base,and what is their learning style.

Tanya,

I like what "in your book." ;-) Thanks for your input these forums.

Tanya,

I think we got this the first time. Hope you are not having technology issues.

Thanks!

Mona,

Knowing how to deliver the content is essential. We do have to perform somewhat of an analysis to figure this all out.

Thanks!

1. the need to know of the student and present knowledge of the student
2. presentation format
3. interaction with the students

Douglas,

Excellent. We have to know where the students are coming from and how to get the message across. Good point.

Thanks.

I think you first must consider the overall objectives of the course. Then you should look at who is taking the course (audience. Next who will you be delivering the content to reach the course objectives and lastly how will you assess if they meet the goals.

In designing a course the 3 main things to consider are: What material do you want the students to learn. How will you structure the course for the students to receive the material. Finally, how will you test the students on the knowledge of the new material.

Erin,

Right on! The objectives come first is so many things. You are right on target.

Darren,

And, this all leads back to the course objectives. When the students understand the expectations, they can more quickly move toward them. Nice job.

The following three components are the most important things to consider;
1. The scope of the subject matter. The course must be clearly focused on specific parts of the subject deemed most important. These are identified as learning objectives. The material must be focused enough to have substance but also show the 'big picture'. It is important not to have microscopic level of focus or students may become confused.
2. The type of students being taught. Science classes for non-science majors may be less detailed than those for science majors. One must also consider whether or not students will be full-time.
3. Length of course. It is important to allow enough time for students to both fully access the learning objects and complete assignments. The amount of material should not exceed two science chapters per week.
Will the students find the course valuable enough to devote twenty hours per week?

Dr. James F. De Bouno Jr., ND, PhD
Adjunct Instructor - Environmental Science

James,

Good list of things to consider. I'm glad you included the content, students and course considerations. Thanks for your input.

When authoring an online course the three most important things to consider in my opinion would be the course objectives, course content and the taxonomy level of the course assignments and assessments. The course should be based on the objectives and what the student is to learn and do and then based on what level the student need to learn the course content.

Karen,

Nice list to share with others. Thanks for your input. It's good to tie everything to the objectives. Thanks!

When authoring my own online course I believe the three most important the is to consider are content, ease of use, and course goals.

The content of the course should cover all of the topic. The instructor needs to ensure all of the information is presented in a manner that is easy for the student to acess. The information should be presented in more than one manner. Written objectives should direct the student to obtain the information through readings of text books and supplemental literature, typed or recorded lectures, and videos. Each topic that needs to be presented and learned should be reinforced in at least two tools.

The second consideration should be ease of the course. The course should be set up in a way that is easy to navigate. The students should be presented with a tutorial of the course. The tutorial should incliude information on all the content and how to access the conent. I also fell the tutorial should include an assignment that allows the student to interactive with the course.

The final component that is essential to the online course is a clef presentation of the course goals. The students should have an understanding of what they will learn, how they will learn it, what is expected of them in regards to class work, and what they can expect from the instructor. The goals should be easily accessible so they can be reviewed at any time.

SUSAN,

This is a good list. I agree that easy navigation is important and we have to make sure everything connects to the course goals for sure. Thanks!

Dr. Crews,

When authoring an online course, my three important factors to consider would be:

a. The LMS- the learning platform; there are various learning systems that exist in online learning and one has to consider the best one to deliver the material and content that the students need to learn. For example, some may find eCollege less friendly when learning Anatomy & physiology, as opposed to Blackboard.

b. The consistency and organization of the material. As expressed in the class notes, consistency of language and presentation is key so as to not confuse the student.

c. Considering the audience target. In online education, one is likely to get individuals from a variety of backgrounds, and one has to tailor to that need. Some students may understand the online environment, better than others.

When one considers the audience target, then one can have a better chance of authoring a course successfully.

Cheers,
Su Somnarain

One must be present in the course, must have knowledge of core content and be approachable.

Catina

I think the features of the LMS and the visual appeal it would have such that students find it easy to use and easy to look it. Then, the content must structured well and integrated in a manner that facilitates student learning from one module to the next or from one week to the next.

the experiences in my field that will reenforce what I teach.
The amount of knowledge in the field
and the interest/impact the two above will have on their learning and interest in continuing

Sign In to comment