Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would have to say that the following three questions would have to be addressed in my considerations:
1)How will I deliver course content to the students?
2)How will I assess what students know and what students can do?
3)How will my students be receiving the information?

Heather,

Right on. We have to know what we are delivering to the students and how to deliver it effectively. Thanks.

Amer,

Very good. We have to think about what we are delivering to the class and how to effectively deliver it. Thanks for asking these questions to make us think.

When authoring an online course I start with some basic questions
1) What do I need to teach? This is defined by the Terminal Course Objectives.

2) Who am I teaching? The Age, Skills and Knowledge of my intended Audience have a lot of impact on the tools that I utilize to deliver material. Pod Casts are not very useful for people who do not use iPod/MP3 Players.

3) How long do I have to cover the material? If the course is 6 Weeks Long the approach, assignments and tools used may be very different than process that I would use for an 18 Week Semester long course.

LE,

Nice job. You start with your content and audience and then work toward delivering content/expectations/assignments, etc. in the best way. Thanks for the questions.

This will be my first online course. I will be putting extensive effort into the sylabus, framing of the course, and allowing experienced instructors to look at what I have created for their feedback.

cynthia,

Good thoughts. Your syllabus is an essential element of the communicationn process and helps frame the course. Keep moving forward and you'll learn from your experience. Thanks!

Who my target audience is
What do they need to know/do
How do I want to impart that knowledge

KEVIN,

Yes, we have to know who we are teaching and how to deliver the content appropriately. Thanks for you input.

Three important thing to remember is who is the audience, what are the goals and their goals, and what is the expectation of the course.

Lisa,

Right on! We need to clearly explain the expectations to the students and help them achieve the goals. Nice job.

Three important things to consider would be knowing the audience, knowing the level of education and what it is the students need to learn in the course.

Lisa,

Very good. We do need to analyze our audience (our students) and help them succeed. The better we know our audience, the better we can understand how to provide course content to all students.

Thanks!

Greetings!

When authoring your own online course, I believe the three most important things to consider are:

1. The audience

It is important to consider the caliber of students and the type of students regarding the course level and prerequisites. For example, a developmental college student may have a different caliber than a junior in college. A student in a Master's program can have a different caliber than a student in a doctoral course.

2. The curriculum objectives

Considering curriculum design is appropriate to be certain the facilitation and delivery is in alignment with the framework of the course and the content intended to be communicated. The objectives of curriculum design can compliment instructional design and course objectives.

3. The learning events or activities

Assessing students can be necessary to illustrate learning. Considering the level of knowledge students have, capabilities of students to complete activities, and how to use assessments to help students improve is significant to have positive outcomes and productivity. The format involves understanding the value of researching and incorporating assessments and assignments well to help and encourage students to learn.

Sincerely, Perry Spann

Annabel,

I appreciated reading your feedback, and I also noted that the audience is important to consider, and I thought about the skills, capabilities, and levels of students. The variations of student populations are vast, and it is important to be certain when we author systems as instructors that we keep our target audience as a primary elements.

Then, we can form the remainder of the content and format for authoring online courses properly in alignment with the learning planned.

Sincerely, Perry Spann

Eryn,

I concur with you and would like to explain the reasoning! Certainly, navigation is a main consideration when authoring courses online.

If students are not able to navigate courses with ease, they may become emotionally frustrated or overwhelmed, which can be a mental distraction from learning. I think your notations are valid, and having ease with navigating courses is definitely necessary to consider, or the remainder of the course content may not be properly understood and received.

Sincerely, Perry Spann

Perry ,

Thanks for the great addition to this forum. You are right on track and it's so true that we need to gt to know our students - our audience - to help them improve. Thanks for your input.

Perry and Annabel,

I like that you talk about planning the learning. We don't just "wing it," we do have to plan it. Thanks!

Perry and Eryn,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Navigation is so important. If students can't find information or don't know where to submit assignment, etc., they won't be able to reach the learning outcomes. Nice job.

When I create a new course the three most important things to consider are:
1. What is that I want to convey to mystudents?
2. How can I reinforce the material?
2. What is it that I want to students to remember?

Sign In to comment