Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Definition & Importance of U.S. Copyright Law | Origin: EL114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Respecting Copyrights and Leveraging Available Resources --> Definition & Importance of U.S. Copyright Law

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I use these practices daily in class since I teach Graphic Communications and Design classes.  We have to make sure we follow all copyright laws when creating t-shirts designs, logo and product designs. It was great to see more indepth on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I'm an attorney and writer, and I've needed to understand this information in order to engage in best practices myself. As a teacher, figuring out what is proper can be tricky, so this is valuable information on how to approach learning online. Distinguishing the copyright protected materials from non-protected was particularly helpful.

As an educator I use multiple sources on the internet and do not request copyright. I intend to share this with my peers because this is valuable information about asking for permission. 

I liked the recommendations for computer software tools to help with anti-plagiarism efforts.

As a teacher I am very carefull to give notice of where I got my imf

It is quite easy to cross boundaries into copyright infringement without intending to do so. The fat that you think that the use of material is fair does not make it "fair use", and can open both you and your institution to serios finanical ramifications/

Yes because to protect someone else work its important to use and to give appropriate credit to the source you got the information from is very important.

I appreciate the clarification of copyright laws.  I have often seen the use of cartoons and other media used by faculty or in CEU type presentations and now I realize these were probably innappropriate.  I hope to see further clarification in upcoming segments because I'm curious where the line is for citation versus requesting permission to use work due to copyright.

Copyright is so very important, especially in the educational realm. Many course designers and instructors want to add images to presentation material and often do, as it is easy to just download or take a screen shot of images found on the internet. However, this is not always legal or appropriate depending on the type of license. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 

Private sector, for-profit educational institutions do not have the same rights as public sector, non-profit educational institutions. It's unfortunate because the goal of all educational institutions should is to educate. 

I like the idea that online course instructors copyright their original lessons.

I am very pleased with our online delivery system becomes it already incorporates a lot of material from the ebooks that we use. 

In this module I have learned that it is important to include a copyright notice in any written work, intellectual property, and online works such as blogs. I will apply in my next courses a notice that includes my name and the date of the first publication of the work.

In this module I reviewd copyright laws, exceptions, and how to reference the copyright work if some part is use.

Review of copyright law, exceptions, and how to reference work sources. 

A valuable resource for documentation on copyright law from the U.S. federal government can be found at www.copyright.gov. The United States Copyright Law of 1976 was designed to protect the rights of owners and authors of original works.

I have always been coached to avoid plagarism, but I think it is often easily forgotten that online pictures and quotes can be easily misused without copyright permission. 

Intellectual property is property. As someone who has had their work stolen and plagiarized, I understand the purpose of copyrights and why using someone else's work is wrong on a very emotional level. I think learning about the law in particular is important.

I have learned that having a plan B for copyright infringement is important. I may be using intellectual property unware and that is not acceptable in academia. I will also plan to use more clip art and less pictures.

It really is a problem to grab images, quotes, music, or other copyrighted mater online and use them in a course, thinking no-one will ever notic notice. Using public domain, creative commons, or US goverment-created works can help to avoid this. Most importantly, what the instructor uses in the course sets an example for students of what online materials are ethical to use.

I use computer software tools to help with anti-plagiarism efforts.

Sign In to comment