Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many options and resources for online labs, many which were 'new' to me as I'm used to skills lab and utilized several of the techniques mentioned and also human patient simulation for nursing courses. The rest were interesting as to the possibilities of what could be incorporated into the design of the course when labs are part of the required learning outcomes. Thanks for that information, a wealth of knowledge there ;-)

Labs are crucial to simulate hands on learning and to drive home the topics being taught. When teaching online it is important to have options for still hold lab time. 

Labs can be used in the asynchronous setting and there are many resources available to provide students the needs equipment to practice their lab skills asynchronously. 

I like the fact that we can now complete virtual labs on and off campus. Students seem to enjoy the making and avitar of themselves and completing the lab with real life scenarios. 

In this module I learned about the resources that are available to build or enhance a Virtual Lab including the use of Reusable Learning Objects, such as the one found in "MERLOT".  The importance of having this component in the online learning environment brings a sense of realism into learning such as using simulation and gamification.  I like the thought of having students engage through this method to help them increase their critical thinking and knowledge. 

I really really like the idea of lab kits. I'd love to incorporate them in both asynchronous and synchronous courses. Giving students the time to really work through a lab project at their own speed and the comfort of their own space seems like it'd be incredibly beneficial and provide students with a stronger sense of ownership in regard to their learning.

Lab kits are useful to assist in teaching and evaluating the lab skills in a virtual environment. 

Asychronous means that the instructor and student are not in the same place and time. So you can still have students come into lab and complete the work on their own time. Lab techs can be available. 

It is important to utilize lab simulations that reflect course objectives as well as develop real life skills. Developing Re-usable Learning Objectives does not have to be a daunting task and could be accomplished through the use of an online resource site, such as MERLOT or through student assignments.

It is possible to incorporate labs in an asynchronous course.   Utilizing different websites that demonstrate a procedure can be effective in educating students.   This also allows the student to view the procedure as many times as they wish.

MERLOT is a great resource, glad I saw this reminder.  I need to start using it.

The resources provided are excellent.  Formulating labs that can mimic F2F in an online setting is something to which proper time should be given.  Many times my institution puts significant pressure on faculty - this makes me consider a more formally formulated strategic plan for improved development and evaluation of online courses. 

With hands-on practice at home, labs may be just as fascinating and educational as they can be in person. Students gain access to resources they might not otherwise have through online learning. But its imperative that they have the right resources and supplies.

Utilize the resources already available. Try to make the labs as close to F2F as possible.

Virtual labs are possible, but free websites are not always up and running from year to year.  The website could be blocked by your district.  Purchasing virtual labs is a conversation worth having with your district.

Los laboratorios asincrónicos son algunos de los elementos a los cuales me costara acostumbrarme ya que estaba acostumbrada a otro tipo de manejo y metodología, responder una pregunta a medida que  surga...pero considero que las interacciones van generan procesos adaptativos mucho más significativos. 

Virtual labs can be used with online learning.

Understanding how to get materials for classes is just as important as developing the classes themselves.  We need to make sure that we are more than prepared when developing online classes.

I feel motivated to create my own interactive labs for my students.

Reusable Learning Objects (RLOs)/digital educational components that can be cataloged, reused, archived, and stored for future use. 

Sign In to comment